Soldering Irons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dai h. View Post
    The Hakko irons I have seem to be pretty good quality (and generally considered as). From what I understand, there are fake Hakkos, and the clones vary in quality as well (too lazy to look it up, but I saw a page showing the internals of 3(?) different Hakko clones, and the heater construction did not look the same).
    Yeah, lots of clones, but from what I saw on a YouTube video once the Aoyue is made in the same factory. They even offer what they call the "Japanese" heater element, which is the same as the Hakko. Some of those clones look nothing nike the Hakko, but the Aoyue looks exactly like it. From what I gather, they make them for Hakkp and then offer their own version.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      Yeah, lots of clones, but from what I saw on a YouTube video once the Aoyue is made in the same factory. They even offer what they call the "Japanese" heater element, which is the same as the Hakko. Some of those clones look nothing nike the Hakko, but the Aoyue looks exactly like it. From what I gather, they make them for Hakkp and then offer their own version.
      I just ran across an Amazon review in which it was said the tips were not identical:

Update 06-20-10 = I just got done doing another small kit and I like this soldering station a lot.
      I have been using both the Hakko and Aoyue tips and yes the Hakko tips do work like I stated but I found that there is a flanged metal tube inside the iron that is used as a spacer. It is spaced perfect for the Aoyue tips but it is just a bit short for the Hakko tips. When you put in the Hakko tip there is slightly more than a 1mm space between the tip and spacer. That makes the barrel of the iron kind of move a bit. I also didn't want to tighten the retaining nut to much because I thought it may damage the ceramic element. I also did try to file part of the ceramic elements end to make the tip fit but under the ceramic part of the element is metal so I didn't want to go any farther. I am now going to purchase some more Aoyue tips and keep the Hakko tips for backup. When I used the Aoyue tip the shaft of the iron was nice and tight and did not shift or move at all. I did use the Aoyue tip that came with the unit (I think it is a "S4" tip) and it has worked very good but I prefer the "TI"or the "TB" tips for every day use. Only time will tell but so far so good. The tip is holding up nicely. All in all I am very impressed :-)

Amazon.com: Aoyue 937+ Digital Soldering Station - ESD Safe includes Spare Element UPDATED VERSION!!: Industrial & Scientific

Yes, the ads for these clones often say "Hakko heating element." Patent or copyright laws probably prevent the factory from selling an exact clone. They look like a good bargain but I would order plenty of replacement tips just in case they become unavailable later. Or it may be possible to modify the Aoyue so that the Hakko bits are a good fit.

Steve Ahola

P.S. The Stahl solder stations for $59.50 look pretty good, too:

Amazon.com: Stahl Tools TCSS Temp Controlled Soldering Station ESD Safe: Home Improvement

And their variable heat 40 watt station (comparable to the $40 Weller WLC100?) for $15.87 looks like a good deal, too:

Amazon.com: Stahl Tools SSVT Variable Temperature Soldering Station: Home Improvement
      The Blue Guitar
      www.blueguitar.org
      Some recordings:
      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
        if that is the case (and someone is buying on price) then I suppose the choice is obvious. And maybe some of the equivalent tips may be the same as well (and not inferior). Hakko themselves have come out with a newer (less costly IIRC) model with a smaller control unit (or whatever you call it) section with one of the advertising points being that it takes up less space on the work bench. They come in different (bright) colors and are somewhat toy-ish looking.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          I have some hexacons used in phone office Type work.
          I can't find elements for them.
          I have one that is 110Watts, and another that is 90 Watts.
          They use threaded tips that are, I think 3/8" threads.
          T
          Hexaon Electric has a wide variety of tools for anyone seeking the best in hand soldering equipment.

Comment

No Luck on my Products.
            That's why I'm Iron shopping.
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

As I said earlier, I use and love the W60P, but I keep one of these on hand for humbucker covers and other heavy duty jobs: Amazon.com: Weller 80 Watt Soldering Iron: Home Improvement They do the job marvelously. The only down fall is that since there is no temperature control the thing just keeps heating like crazy, so you have to occasionally unplug it if you have it in for too long. It will hit a point where the solder flux burns so fast that you can't do anything with it. That is the trade off of it being a nice and cheap iron.

That said, they do make some really big tips for the W60P but I haven't tried any above 3/16". Using the 800 degree 3/16" works, but it makes for those funny looking lumpy solder joints that make it evident that you didn't have an iron that was hot enough. With the other one, I can remove and replace covers with zero evidence of ever having been opened up.

Comment

The only down fall is that since there is no temperature control the thing just keeps heating like crazy, so you have to occasionally unplug it if you have it in for too long. It will hit a point where the solder flux burns so fast that you can't do anything with it.
                I would try to adjust the AC voltage downward (and thus the heat--since flux burning off super quick would seem to say it's too hot) with a Variac (or if you don't have one, I think a low ohm power R would work). This adjustment seems to make the cheaper irons work much better (though they tend to overheat and you have to turn them off or perhaps use the diode trick mentioned above to cool it off a bit--also, the Nichrome heating element types do take a while to get back up to working temp.).

Comment

Originally posted by dai h. View Post
                  I would try to adjust the AC voltage downward (and thus the heat--since flux burning off super quick would seem to say it's too hot) with a Variac (or if you don't have one, I think a low ohm power R would work). This adjustment seems to make the cheaper irons work much better (though they tend to overheat and you have to turn them off or perhaps use the diode trick mentioned above to cool it off a bit--also, the Nichrome heating element types do take a while to get back up to working temp.).
                  To be honest, I only use it for occasional challenges, and it isn't that hard to unplug it if it gets too hot. It really is only prone to hitting those temperatures if you're in the habit of just letting it sit plugged in for a while waiting until you get around to using it.

Comment

right, if the cheapie iron works fine already, then there isn't any need for adjustment, but it's just I've found they seem to often and tweaking the temp. helps make them easier to use.

Comment

Aoyue 936 are way cheap! $39!

AOYUE 936 Soldering Station | eBay

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                        Aoyue 936 are way cheap! $39!

AOYUE 936 Soldering Station | eBay
                        Another one here:

Solder Station-CSI-STATION1A
                        "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                        - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
                          Looks a good deal!
                          My Dilemma, is why can't most irons in a size limit use the same sized replaceable tips.
                          I notice most major brands have a little different sized tip. WTF?
                          T
                          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
                            $30 + $12 S&H = $42 > $39 total

Comment

If You Do FleaBay!
                              I don't, I like to buy from bizzes Direct!
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

Exactly, I was only pointing out an alternative and to show the CSI is the same one, just rebranded with their name on the station.
                                "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                                - Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
                                X