Sanding Devices!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanding Devices!

I know very little about sanding devices.
    Please post your info on Sanding Devices here.
    Whether you use a staionary sander or portable unit.
    They are used in all phases of guitar, pickup and amp cabinet work.
    Pictures would also be great to see some of what you guys use!
    Thanks in Advance.
    B_T
    ** Also please post what grit size you use for what?
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    I know very little about sanding devices.
    Please post your info on Sanding Devices here.
    Whether you use a staionary sander or portable unit.
    They are used in all phases of guitar, pickup and amp cabinet work.
    Pictures would also be great to see some of what you guys use!
    Thanks in Advance.
    B_T
    ** Also please post what grit size you use for what?
    What are you sanding ? guitars or the insulation off PE hehe
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
      What are you sanding ? guitars or the insulation off PE hehe
      I try not to work on PE! I try to be a PN Kind of Guy!
      I'm mainly sanding on Wood!
      T
      ** I learned so much from the Soldering Iron, and Crock pot Threads!
      I thought I could get Sander 101 for Dummies on Everything I ever wanted to know about big and Little Sanders...
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

I own a few sanders but a sheet of sand paper stuck to block of wood goes a long way .
        It really depends on what job you need to do with the sander
        for making templates & sanding to a drawn line an oscillating spindle sander is the cats meow
        but if you want something for sanding guitar bodies i use a random orbit sander .
        & on of these comes in handy
        I also have one of these
        Mastercraft 4-in. Belt/Disc Sander | Canadian Tire
        great for sanding a straight edge on a bone nut of even when making a baseplate

Comment

I've owned a few dozen sanders over the years.
          They come in four basic types; You've got your belt sanders, your disc sanders, your spindle sanders and your random orbit or orbital sanders. They are more to less aggressive in that order. They all do different things and you'd need at least one of each to get through the day in my shop. There are plenty of reviews on line that you can dig into but seeing as you are cost conscious and looking for value you might as well go to Home Depot and buy their Rigid brand which comes with a lifetime guarantee which you'll need soon enough from what I've heard.

Belt sanders come in 4x36, 6x48, 6x80, 6x89 (they go bigger). Stationary disc sanders come in 6", 12", 18", 20", 24" diameters. Spindle sanders come with 3/4" through 3 or 4" diameter spindles that are either 4.5" or 9" tall. The random orbit sanders (ROS) start at about 3" but most come in either 5 or 6" diameters. Many of the better ones are air-powered. I'd recommend you buy electric unless you have a BIG compressor. Of the 5 or so ROS sanders I own my favorite is the Porter Cable 343, a legacy model. I'd also get a 1/4 sheet sander for fine sanding, Milwaukee makes a cheap-ass one that lasts forever.
          I'd check out Rigid's combination belt/spindle sander if you are just doing little bits and pieces.

Things to know, A stationary disc sander is the only sander to give you a flat surface. If you are radiusing fingerboards you'll want the 6x80 or 6x89" stationary belt sander. Grizzly, Lobo, Sunhill, Enco etc. all sell branded versions of these. I use mine every day.

You also have thickness sanders, either belt or drum, you won't like the prices of these and you probably don't need one unless you are building a lot of guitars.

For sandpaper try Klingspor, it's pretty good fro the price.

Comment

I have a combination 4" x 36" Belt/6" Disc Sander at home. At the shop we have an oscillating spindle sander and a large disk sander. And then of course a lot of hand held random orbit sanders.

I use the combination sander on metal for pickup making, and with different belts for wood working.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

There are LOTS and lots of options out there. If you don't have anything else, the combo belt/disk sander is the place to start. It isn't perfect for lots of things, but if I could only have one power tool, that would be it.

Spindle sanders are also great. If the tables are nice and flat, you can do all sorts of intricate things and not worry about staying square. I also really like higher grade disk sanders.

As Craig said, making small sanding tools for yourself is an invaluable skill. I'd say 20-30% of the tools I use in pickup making/guitar repair are some sort of homemade things, often with adhesive backed sand paper stuck to it. I also like it because files aren't always friendly for lefties, so sticks with sandpaper stuck to them sometimes work better.

Hint: sheets of glass (or lexan or plexiglas) from the hardware store make a great surface for sticking sand paper down and truing up surfaces for the tech on a budget.

Oh, and Craig...... what is the bottle in your avatar?

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyKikuchiyo View Post
                There are LOTS and lots of options out there. If you don't have anything else, the combo belt/disk sander is the place to start. It isn't perfect for lots of things, but if I could only have one power tool, that would be it.

Spindle sanders are also great. If the tables are nice and flat, you can do all sorts of intricate things and not worry about staying square. I also really like higher grade disk sanders.

As Craig said, making small sanding tools for yourself is an invaluable skill. I'd say 20-30% of the tools I use in pickup making/guitar repair are some sort of homemade things, often with adhesive backed sand paper stuck to it. I also like it because files aren't always friendly for lefties, so sticks with sandpaper stuck to them sometimes work better.

Hint: sheets of glass (or lexan or plexiglas) from the hardware store make a great surface for sticking sand paper down and truing up surfaces for the tech on a budget.

Oh, and Craig...... what is the bottle in your avatar?
                Gibsons finest Canadian Whisky
                http://www.gibsonsfinest.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                  I have a combination 4" x 36" Belt/6" Disc Sander at home. At the shop we have an oscillating spindle sander and a large disk sander. And then of course a lot of hand held random orbit sanders.

I use the combination sander on metal for pickup making, and with different belts for wood working.
                  So if I was going to buy one sanding device, Perhaps this would be a good place to start.
                  Right now my Sander is comprised of a rubber sanding block, and a pile of different 3M Wet or dry various grits.
                  No one mentioned what grits you do with what.
                  I guess that is a more of a what the need for the job, would be?
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

So if I was going to buy one sanding device, Perhaps this would be a good place to start.
                    Right now my Sander is comprised of a rubber sanding block, and a pile of different 3M Wet or dry various grits.
                    T
                    On my combo sander I usually have 80 on the belt and 120 on the disk. 120 is coarse enough for decent material removal, but doesn't leave crazy scratches in hardwoods. The belt never gets used for any sort of fine sanding, at least at this point. I try to keep a few things on hand, though.

Only recently have I been experimenting with the vertical set up on my belt sander. It is more useful than I initially thought.

Comment

T
                      The belt/disk combos are great. I had a longer one in the past, and used to use the belt for neck and body shaping. This length would work fine for that too.

I forget what I have on there. The belt is what ever it came with. I mostly use that for shaping plastic parts, so it doesn't get a lot of wear. The disk is 100 grit. Currently I mostly use that for deburring metal blade ends.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                        The belt/disk combos are great. I had a longer one in the past, and used to use the belt for neck and body shaping. This length would work fine for that too.

I forget what I have on there. The belt is what ever it came with. I mostly use that for shaping plastic parts, so it doesn't get a lot of wear. The disk is 100 grit. Currently I mostly use that for deburring metal blade ends.
                        That is pretty much what I would do with it.
                        I switched over to wood spacers on Humbuckers, that would be good for that also.
                        Right now I use my portable 4-1/2" Fiber Wheeled grinder for sanding jobs.
                        I stick it in my lap and bump the trigger for sanding spacers and for beveling magnets.
                        It can be hard on the finger nails, and cuticles.
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

Working...
                        X