Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

related to Dave's reflective IR sensor, this unit looks useful

Infrared reflectance sensor Infrared reflective switch | eBay
    5vdc source and a nice pulse output, adj sensitivity and a big mounting hole.

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
      Cool .........lots of Ideas & It won't take long to build this winder
      I would like to have a 5 digit counter ,but it guess it's not a must .
      I see the 4 digit counters really cheap
      a 5 digit counter is a *must* for me.
      www.frettech.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rob DiStefano View Post
        a 5 digit counter is a *must* for me.
        I agree ,I wind a few different pickups over 10000 turns ,I could live with the 4 digit counter but I'm sure I will find a 5
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

yeah, that does look like the $127/shipped mini lathe sold via harbor freight. looks like it could do the job. sez the speed is variable starting around 750rpm - wonder if that can be modded to start at zero. as to reversing the spindle direction, i'd just turn the machine around . i need a backup for my sidewinder and this might be the way to go, as there's nothing i've seen yet that can compare to a sidewinder for quality, price and value.

but yeah, the counter is vital. an optical trigger is the way to go over a mechanical mag reed switch. add in a 5 digit digital counter. there has to be a simple, cost effective optical triggered digital counter somewhere out there that we can all use ..... couple the counter to any mini lathe and there's no more need to be concerned about a good, cost effective coil winder.
          www.frettech.com

Comment

yeah, that does look like the $127/shipped mini lathe sold via harbor freight. looks like it could do the job. sez the speed is variable starting around 750rpm - wonder if that can be modded to start at zero. as to reversing the spindle direction, i'd just turn the machine around . i need a backup for my sidewinder and this might be the way to go, as there's nothing i've seen yet that can compare to a sidewinder for quality, price and value.

but yeah, the counter is vital. an optical trigger is the way to go over a mechanical mag reed switch. add in a 5 digit digital counter. there has to be a simple, cost effective optical triggered digital counter somewhere out there that we can all use ..... couple the counter to any mini lathe and there's no more need to be concerned about a good, cost effective coil winder.
            The direction the lathe turns if fine for me ,as it turns the same direction I wind most of my pickups anyway

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
              The direction the lathe turns if fine for me ,as it turns the same direction I wind most of my pickups anyway
              what, you don't wind many RWRP pups? that's a staple for a strat middle or tele neck.
              www.frettech.com

Comment

what, you don't wind many RWRP pups? that's a staple for a strat middle or tele neck.
                Not a big deal, you just flip the pickup over.
                I do it all the time.
                Also keep in mind, that isn't the only winder Copper has.
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

It's time to replace my old winder with this lathe now .so i need a sensor & a counter
                  I wonder if this one will work with
                  0 56" Red LED Digital Counter Meter Count Timer Timing Three Function DC12 24V | eBay

Comment

I have one of these and it keeps perfect count with my winder's counter up to ~1300 RPM. Any faster and it misses steps.

P11 5A LCD Digital Counter Punch Magnetic Switch Reciprocating Rotary Counnter | eBay
                    Sigil Pickups ~ Stunt Monkey Pedals

Comment

this thread started by mojoatomic talks about all this stuff - counting turns on a lathe winder and adjusting minimum rpm's.
                      Follow the link to the TDPRI (?) forum. lots of details.
                      Has me reconsidering a lathe winder.

Comment

Thanks ..I did see that thread here & on TDPRI & i like but I find it a little confusing about the auto shutoff at the moment .
                        My lathe has a potentiometer that you can slow it down enough too probably start winding without breaking the wire ....at the moment .
                        I might try to find a sensor & a counter for now

Comment

I wonder which sensor I would need & along with other components to make this work .
                          I got to place an order in a day or so & l hope to get it here
                          how about this one
                          TCRT1000 Reflective Optical Sensor 950nm TCRT1000
                          Optical Sensor - Sensors / Transducer
                          I see the fairchild sensor looks like what I've seen used before but it's out of stock

Comment

there are a lot of sensor types.
                            I'm not real crazy about reed sensors. As I understand, they are electromechanical in nature, much like a reed relay. Electromechanical switches will fail eventually. Also, with mechanical switches there is the potential for chatter or bounce when the switch makes contact, which could affect accuracy.
                            That said, I prefer optical and or hall effect types.

Comment

I want something that will still count up towards 2000 rpm .& I have the proximity counter here on my old winder if I really need it ,But is the optic sensor be a better choice

Comment

Optic sensor's work great. They're simple to set up, fast counting, and reliable. I built my own optic switch from components for about $5. I bought one of the counters that CheopisIV linked to just to see if they were for real. It works really well up to around 1,200rpm. They're a bargain at that price.

Comment

Working...
                                X