Johns new winder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johns new winder

First of all thanks to all of you that have shared your knowledge, and experience on these forums. Reading the threads inspired me to wind my own pickups.

I looked at quite a few different winder designs before I built this one. It's my first attempt at one of these. The mainshaft is driven by a roller on to the 5" wheel on the right side, which in turn drives the other 5" wheel at a 10/1 ratio to the mainshaft for the counter. It only counts every tenth turn. Single turns I can mark on the counter wheel itself. I did this to keep the cyclic rate down low enough to use a cheap proximity switch. The counter itself I made out of a pedometer. They have a small inertia switch inside which triggers the counter. I removed the switch, and soldered my leads to the contacts. It couldn't have been simpler. So far I've only got about thirty dollars in the project. It seems like it will work well. I can't wait to build some pickups.
    Attached Files

Very nice. Simple, inexpensive. That's the way I like it. Good job!

Comment

Thanks SW; I did some tweaking on it yesterday, and got the counter accurate to within +/- .15%. I think I can deal with being off 1 or 2 winds per thousand. I'll probably put a slightly smaller drive wheel on the motor. The way it is right now it'll go about 2,800 rpm at full, and I'm pretty sure I'll not be winding that fast. It will also be a little smoother at low speeds. I'm going to order a couple kits from Stew/Mac this week. A tele bridge, and a strat SC will be my first attempts. Wish me luck.

Comment

The winder works great. I wound my first coil with it today.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X