Wiring the microswitch and counter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring the microswitch and counter

I am building a pickup winder from a sewing machine motor. The dimmer works well to control the speed, but I am having trouble working out how to connect the counter and microswitch.

I bought a mechanical counter with two wires and microswitches (I make mistakes so I need extra) with the standard COM, NC and NO lugs. The microswitch voltage is "under AC/DC 125/250V"

I can't seem to find the proper wiring combination to get the switch and counter to work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	winder1e.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	865600

Name:	winder1f.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	865601

Name:	Winder2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	865602

Any advice is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

EDIT - I got it working. Please feel free to delete this post (I can't find the means to do so).
    Last edited by whitebison66; 08-08-2012, 06:20 AM.

Just for future reference to anyone searching...

COM is common, NC is Normally Closed, NO is Normally Open.

Most microswitches will start giving erratic counts at higher speeds as the terminals will bounce causing false counts. You may want an eccentric cam to move the switch lever just enough to actuate it rather than a sharp lobe cam the bangs into it and than drops it every time around. The electromechanical counter you are using is probably ideal for this application as it should be quite resistant to false counts compared to an electronic totalizer that is much more sensitive to fast pulses (and over-counts).

Comment

Verify that the counts are correct. It's easy to be fooled.

You may need a simple resistor-capacitor debounce circuit between microswitch and counter.

Comment

Working...
      X