• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hugh,

Any more progress on the winder?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrebird Steve View Post
      I have travelled the Netduino path and had problems with the small things.... like a menu system that actually works easily with the single line LCD & keypad, spinning multiple motors simultaneously while collecting positional info and probably the most difficult was recovering from issues mid-wind (ie. not doing a complete restart in the case of something correctable happening.)

Although, to be fair, most of these issue were due to my lack of programming skills in .NET

I'd probably go for rev counting an optical encoder (ir reflective sensor) as they have some with built in capacitor discharge circuits that allow for digital input.

I've ended up going down a PC controlled via USB route, only because my components come with the .dll files to make this a snap.

I have programmed a pretty good scatter wind simulator based on randomly selecting the next traverse from an array of prime numbers. This allows for random/mixed TPL during the winding process.

For example if you use the following list of primes [3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23] and randomly select you will treverse on average 12 steps with each wind, If you have 240 steps per layer you average 20TPL but might go as high as 80TPL or as low as 10TPL

Setting your array size and content you can pretty much control the upper and lower TPL as well as the average TPL.

I like prime numbers because the lack of comon denominators means that you are less likely to lay a wire on top of an existing wire on the return-traverse.

My PC does this "on the fly" and records the steps to a dBase so I can rebuild any "randonm scatter wind' precisely. Of course you can pre-program your stepper controller based on this technique before execution I guess.

Good luck with the project, I'd be interested in building/testing when its done.
      your winder sounds amazing. i want to build one. can we talk about yours?

Comment

Originally posted by beacolyte View Post
        your winder sounds amazing. i want to build one. can we talk about yours?
        Sure.

Here's a link to the latest incarnation, which I built

Here's a link to the winding pattern design program discussion

Let's keep discussions on this thread to have it available to all.

Cheers
        Steve

Comment

Working...
        X