New Guy's (Me) Contribution to Forum - Wind Counter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReWind View Post
    If you machine the faceplate right on the winder/lathe itself (it's got the power!) it will be perfectly true to itself and the driveshaft by the nature of the process.
    You're absolutely right, but it'd be trying to fix something that isn't broken. It counts true now, I just assumed the proximity sensor would be as accurate as it could get.

Comment

Roger that. Maybe you could use the existing holes in the faceplate and tape over one so you don't count twice per revolution? They may be too small for it to track at 1000+ RPM. You'd have to try.

Comment

Since when did tape have the same permeability as iron?

What's under the little cover on the other end of the spindle?
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

ok, "tape it off, fill it in with shavings and solder or a slug" then if that doesn't work. ...or just drill a new hole, further out. I have proximity sensors that are triggered by a notch in a vinyl disc. No iron at all. Maybe it depends on the sensitivity of the sensor? Just throwing out ideas.

Under that cover on the back is the rear entrance to the hollow shaft of the lathe.

Comment

Doesn't that lathe have a minimum speed of close to 1000 RPMs? Watch out for wobble if you unbalance it with the weight of iron/steel slugs. I'd use as little mass as needed to trigger the sensor.
            Yeah, 750. I'm still trying to figure a way to start it slower without damaging the motor. If anyone has an idea, let me know.

It already has a variable speed knob on it, but regardless it starts (slowly) at 750 rpm.

Comment

Originally posted by jrdamien View Post
              Yeah, 750. I'm still trying to figure a way to start it slower without damaging the motor. If anyone has an idea, let me know.

It already has a variable speed knob on it, but regardless it starts (slowly) at 750 rpm.
              If the motor is a capacitor based motor vs. brushes, you will not be able to use a rheostat style control to vary the speed. If you lathe has a specified number of speeds (through speed switch 500/750/100 type setup, or belt/pulley changes), it may well be a capacitor based motor. If not, you could try one of the variable speed router controls and plug you lathe into that like this:

Buy Router Speed Control 115V 15A - B1850 from Busy Bee Tools
              Last edited by kayakerca; 11-30-2012, 12:49 PM.
              Take Care,

Jim. . .
              VA3DEF

Comment

They do actually make a VFD for single phase motors but the price is many times what this lathe is worth.
                So start scrounging for a DC motor and controller or a 3 phase motor and VFD or get a Universal motor and add a second set of reduction sheaves and belt to get it in the rpm ballpark and then use the router controller. You don't need much torque for winding wire.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                  They do actually make a VFD for single phase motors but the price is many times what this lathe is worth.
                  So start scrounging for a DC motor and controller or a 3 phase motor and VFD or get a Universal motor and add a second set of reduction sheaves and belt to get it in the rpm ballpark and then use the router controller. You don't need much torque for winding wire.
                  I suppose this segues into an interesting conversation about winding speed. Is anyone winding much slower than 700 rpm and, if so, why? I've found I can get the same tension at this speed as I could at half this speed and that none of my pickups have suffered from winding faster. I've lost nothing and gained in time.

Comment

It'll be a "universal" motor, same as a sewing machine motor, and the speed controller will be a lamp-dimmer-style triac circuit.

You can sometimes find VFDs and 3 phase motors cheap from surplus outlets on EBay. The VFD can be programmed to ramp up and down slowly on start/stop commands, which might be useful for coil winding.

They are also handy if you buy a machine tool that requires 3 phase power, but you only have single phase.
                    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

jrdamian,

No question that winding can be accomplished at higher speeds but if you automate the winding part what do you care how long it takes? You have plenty of other tasks to accomplish while the coil is getting wound; assembling bobbins, soldering leads to eyelets, fitting covers, wax potting, cleaning up etc.
                      I think there is a place in the world for "Slow wound" pickups, I'm surprised no one has tried marketing them yet. My favorite slow winder was a turntable that wound at the extremely "musical" 33-1/3 RPM.

Comment

No question that winding can be accomplished at higher speeds but if you automate the winding part what do you care how long it takes? You have plenty of other tasks to accomplish while the coil is getting wound; assembling bobbins, soldering leads to eyelets, fitting covers, wax potting, cleaning up etc.
                        Turning the coil is the only automated part of my pickups. I still feed and tension by hand. I can't imagine it will ever be otherwise.

I think there is a place in the world for "Slow wound" pickups, I'm surprised no one has tried marketing them yet. My favorite slow winder was a turntable that wound at the extremely "musical" 33-1/3 RPM.
                        I think there is too, even if you were somewhat kidding. My original method was with a sewing machine (like so many other's) but because I could go as slow as possible as I wanted. And I loved having a foot pedal.

Comment

Working...
                        X