Interest in Manual Pickup Winders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris Turner View Post
    IMO, I think you'd get more traction with a kit. That would come in at a better price-point, and would also serve to satisfy some of the DIY urges that a lot of us hobbyist winders have.
    But, you need to build it up first so we can see if we want the Winder, IMO.
    Maybe sell some first built, then offer a kit option.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      But, you need to build it up first so we can see if we want the Winder, IMO.
      Maybe sell some first built, then offer a kit option.
      T

Definitely would have to see a completed one, yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Evans View Post
        There may well not be enough of a market to bother with going forward.
        I'm anxious to see what you come up with. . I think the winder market needs a new choice. If you compare what's available now to what you've described, you could corner that market.

IMO, I think you'd get more traction with a kit. That would come in at a better price-point, and would also serve to satisfy some of the DIY urges that a lot of us hobbyist winders have.
        Chris nailed it here

Comment

If you have to be shipping internationally then every little bit of weight is going to add cost exponentially. You definitely want it to fit easily in one of the USPS flat rate boxes.

Comment

I agree the kit may be the best way to go.
            That way it would be smaller and easier to ship like DK said.
            If It's a Plug and play Kit, that would be great.
            Can you keep a kit under $150, with both left and right mandrels?
            If so it would sell like hot cakes, IMO.
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Well, what the market really wants is free online plans and instructions on how to build your own winder, using components that you can buy online or at Home Depot, all costing $50.

Like an updated version of Jason's book, but free and online. Any of us could do that.

There's at least 50 ways to build a winder. Wasn't there a song about that?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
                Well, what the market really wants is free online plans and instructions on how to build your own winder, using components that you can buy online or at Home Depot, all costing $50.

Like an updated version of Jason's book, but free and online. Any of us could do that.

There's at least 50 ways to build a winder. Wasn't there a song about that?
                Just your bobbin brackets can cost that much.
                The advantage to a kit is having all the parts that are preplanned and that fit together.
                I for one want to spend my time on building Pickups and amps, Not on making winders.
                All in a small foot print, with heavy duty components.
                Also we're not all Machinists or engineers, and most of us just want to make a yes, vintage SC or Humbucker!
                Like I say IMHO if Hugh can make it cheap enough, and easy enough to plug, play and assemble, Kits will sell like hot cakes(Or Insert your own metaphor here).
                T
                Last edited by big_teee; 07-19-2013, 06:58 PM.
                Terry

Comment

When was the last time anyone bought a "hotcake"?

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
                    When was the last time anyone bought a "hotcake"?
                    Buy them all the time at IHOP, and MickyDs.
                    Feel free to insert your own metaphor, meaning good seller!
                    I must be stepping on the DIYers toes here, I'm Sorry If So.
                    Last edited by big_teee; 07-19-2013, 07:31 PM. Reason: More Spelling.
                    Terry

Comment

You can probably make a faceplate out of a hotcake. If you let it dry for a week.

You can make a decent winder without any machinist-made parts. A timing belt sprocket from McMasters or a surplus store would make a fine true-running faceplate, for example. All the other parts can be bought and put together with hand tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
                        You can probably make a faceplate out of a hotcake. If you let it dry for a week.

You can make a decent winder without any machinist-made parts. A timing belt sprocket from McMasters or a surplus store would make a fine true-running faceplate, for example. All the other parts can be bought and put together with hand tools.
                        Yes you can do that, and a lot do.
                        I had rather buy one built or nearly built, in a kit.
                        A kit I mean, furnish my own board.
                        Plug up the included parts.
                        I prefer to spend my time making Pickups, working on guitars, amps, or mowing the back 40!
                        Not building winders, I'm sure I'm not alone, and others feel the same way.
                        That is why there should be all these choices and options.
                        There is a market there, and IMO it would surprise most of us how many of those Junky Schatten's that have been sold.
                        Enjoying the peaceful debate!
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

Working...
                        X