Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interest in Pickup Winders - A Poll (v.2). . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interest in Pickup Winders - A Poll (v.2). . .

I'm curious as to how many people would buy a winder when it's all said and done.

Let’s assume for one minute that the winder (whatever type it might be) is built from the highest quality components and has all the options you would be looking for, plus at least enough mounting brackets for single coils and humbuckers. It doesn’t matter what the features are that are a must for you, just that the option comes with them.

Oh, we are also only taking here about winders that wind a single bobbin at a time. We’re not looking to let you upgrade to a machine that winds 10 at a time for $100.

So, who wants a winder?

The poll is expired.

Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

I voted for the$200-300 range, but Would like it to be cheaper!
    Would prefer a 100-$200 option.
    IMO an inherent flaw in the poll is, you are asking established winders that already have skills and winding gear.
    You're not asking the future winder that has no gear, because he or she is not a member of the winding community Yet!
    And, these are the ones that buy first (Schatten Winders), and ask questions later, and end up here!
    Last edited by big_teee; 07-20-2013, 06:39 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      I voted for the$200-300 range, but Would like it to be cheaper!
      Would prefer a 100-$200 option.
      IMO an inherent flaw in the poll is, you are asking established winders that already have skills and winding gear.
      You're not asking the future winder that has no gear, because he or she is not a member of the winding community Yet!
      And, these are the ones that buy first (Schatten Winders), and ask questions later, and end up here!
      When you were young, did your mother go around telling all the neighbours what a difficult child you were?

But, thanks of the bump and (assuming) David for the move.
      Take Care,

Jim. . .
      VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
        When you were young, did your mother go around telling all the neighbours what a difficult child you were?

But, thanks of the bump and (assuming) David for the move.
        I didn't know you wanted a SILENT POLL OR ELECTION!
        Sometimes I see things through a different Lense than some.
        Just trying to point out the unseen buyer.
        There are more buyers that are not here, than are here.
        The place to sell the manual winder is on ebay to the guy looking for a winder before he gets started.
        That is where the sidewinder got sold mostly.
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 07-21-2013, 12:36 AM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          I didn't know you wanted a SILENT POLL OR ELECTION!
          Sometimes I see things through a different Lense than some.
          Just trying to point out the unseen buyer.
          There are more buyers that are not here, than are here.
          The place to sell the manual winder is on ebay to the guy looking for a winder before he gets started.
          That is where the sidewinder got sold mostly.
          T
          Well. . . Based the results of the poll, I wouldn't want to be in the winder building/selling business irrespective of the type.

Hail, Hail, Rock 'n' Roll. . . To those of us who have designed and built our own winders. We win!
          Take Care,

Jim. . .
          VA3DEF

Comment

I voted for an out of box CNC winder. I'm building my own, but frankly hardly have the time to work on it.

Self contained would be nice, but requiring a computer is OK too.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
              I voted for an out of box CNC winder. I'm building my own, but frankly hardly have the time to work on it.

Self contained would be nice, but requiring a computer is OK too.
              That's one of the beautiful things about being retired David, you no longer have to spend your days making sure there's food in the fridge. You just get to do all the types of things that really looked interesting to you through life, but just never had time for.
              Take Care,

Jim. . .
              VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
                That's one of the beautiful things about being retired David, you no longer have to spend your days making sure there's food in the fridge. You just get to do all the types of things that really looked interesting to you through life, but just never had time for.
                Well I'm spending my time making pickups and doing repairs. Don't see why I would need a winder if that wasn't what I was doing! That's also the means to putting food on the table, etc.

I'm just too busy to take the time and build the winder. But I work on it a little bit at a time. it will get done eventually.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                  Don't see why I would need a winder if that wasn't what I was doing!
                  I hear you, but just because a guy retires doesn't mean he wants to stop learning. Spent my career in finance and accounting. I had to do a quite a bit of new 'learning' to design and build a CNC winder. Had to learn some about pickups, some about coding and some about milling and fabricating. Guess I could have just sat around and watched the grass grow (well, during the summer anyway). I know you're not much into 'vintage' stuff, but Leo started as an accountant too!
                  Take Care,

Jim. . .
                  VA3DEF

Comment

Working...
                  X