First winder build, motor questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First winder build, motor questions

So I'm looking for a motor to power my winder, I was thinking of getting a 12V motor high torque motor of ebay, currently found one which does 30RPM, Is this sensible or too slow. I can naturally gear it however, I want I just need some opinions.

A 30 rpm motor has a gear reduction on it. The motor itself is probably turning 10k or more. When you search on ebay, if you use search terms like "12 volt 1500 rpm motor" you'll get better results. 1 2A DC 12V 1500rpm 25GA 120mA High Torque Electric Gear Box Motor 25mm New | eBay

Comment

So, do I want something at 1500RPM? That strikes me as very fast for something which is rotating a bobbin.

Comment

Yes, I usually wind between 800 - 1,500. At 30 rpm it would take 5 hours to wind a pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by John_H View Post
          Yes, I usually wind between 800 - 1,500. At 30 rpm it would take 5 hours to wind a pickup.
          Cool stuff, thanks for your reply. I think I will be going a bit slower due to size of bobbins I will be using. Bass and multi stringed guitar bobbins. So I need a bit slower but, I will aim for 800+RPM.

Comment

I agree with John, that 800-1500 is ideal, especially if you are hand guiding.
            I even wind slower on the start and on the finish, 1500 or so in the middle of the wind when things are going good.
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

With all the disposable cordless drills out in the world I can't imagine having to buy a new motor for anything. My local goodwill store usually has bins of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Peteus View Post
                I think I will be going a bit slower due to size of bobbins I will be using. Bass and multi stringed guitar bobbins. So I need a bit slower but, I will aim for 800+RPM.
                That has nothing to do with it. The bobbin in centered, so it doesn't matter how long it is. I wind as fast as I can, and I pretty much only make bass pickups.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

David, I have to disagree with that. When I try to spin longer bobbins over 1K rpm the wire gets stretched out in the middle by centripetal force. More with 42 than with 43. What tension are you running?

Comment

Working...
                  X