Buying a winder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there's a few pics at myspace.com/oniguitars but it needs updating

oniguitars.com is still in the works, i need to get the content together for my web guy and I'm running late on a few projects which are more important right now

Comment

Did you find a way ?

Hello ,
      Bought the same winder from ebay, it runs verry fast.Did you find a way to reduce the speed of your machine.Would you let me know?

thanks david.

Comment

I've found that I don't mind the speed so much now. I use my right hand to guide the wire with my left hand on the pulley giving fine speed control. A little pressure slows it right down and you get a feel it pretty quickly. Hmm.... maybe a felt pad applying pressure to that pulley might be an easy workaround.

Comment

As for winding the other way, get an aluminum disk made with like the one that's on there and stick it on the end of the shaft. Hold it down with a set screw (no keyway needed) and away you go. As for speed, get a cheap variac. Works great, fully adjustable speed, don't have to worry about speed steps. You want 2450, play with the variac.
          www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Teach yourself !

Hello Jeffrey,
            me thinks you have to teach your self.Learning by doing. Wind,route your own bobbins,machine self made steel parts, find Your own screws and materials,get magnets made to your special specs...This is the way you will bring out your product.

Comment

Originally posted by dpm View Post
              The ebay winder arrived today, it's a solid unit. No instructions and everything is chinese but it was easy enough to figure out by pressing buttons. It has 20 programmable presets - you set the number of turns and what speed for each preset. The footswitch is a simple on/off and it slow starts and stops. I'll post detail pictures of the guts if anyone is interested. They even fitted an Australian power lead for me!

The only issue is that the minimum speed is 2000rpm (as stated clearly in the auction). I've timed it at 2200rpm but that might be because it's a 220v unit running on 240v?. Anyway, I need to reduce the speed....
              Yes please I'd love to see some pic of the guts of your winder, might give me some ideas. And do you know if any one has modified it with pulley sizes to slow it down? I thought I saw a modified one on this forum but have spent a few hrs looking and cant find it.

There's a newbie on the woodwork forum, he's in Wollongong and purchased one of those machines and I've been trying to chase up some info for him.
              MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS - Woodwork Forums

regards to all

Wal
              I know the voices in my head aren't real..... but man, sometimes their ideas are just brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by walcen View Post
                Yes please I'd love to see some pic of the guts of your winder, might give me some ideas. And do you know if any one has modified it with pulley sizes to slow it down?
                l
                Alas, since over two years have elapsed since his winder arrived, he's probably not going to check this thread that often! (& it's likely he's either made his fortune winding esoteric boutique pickups, or more likely that he's moved onto learning to Hanglide, work with under privileged children etc )

Comment

I'm still around, just mostly lurk these days Have a lot on the 'ol plate right now and not much time for posting. I'll give some details on the woodwork forum, but yes, I have got it running at an acceptable speed using a larger pulley.

Comment

Working...
                  X