Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
    Anyone know where to get CREAM STYRENE POLYSTYRENE PLASTIC SHEET
    Any luck locating polystyrene in other than black or white (and at a reasonable cost to get to CANADA)?
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Comment

I bet HIPS takes RIT salt dye pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
        I bet HIPS takes RIT salt dye pretty well.
        Thanks David. Not familiar with that process, so I'll have to look into it. Black or white sheets are not a problem and reasonably priced, but the cost of coloured HIPS to Canada is brutal from suppliers I've been able to find online.
        Take Care,

Jim. . .
        VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
          Any luck locating polystyrene in other than black or white (and at a reasonable cost to get to CANADA)?
          Not really .I've been only getting B & W from one supplier
          "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Here's some more floating pickups that I've made .Vacuum form the covers .
            The larger pickups are for an archtop Jazz guitar ,the smaller one is for a Mandola & the smallest is for a Mandolin

Comment

Most excellent! And what plastic is this?

Comment

Black "styrene" polystyrene

Comment

I'm going to have to try out HIPS on the next run of covers. Right now, I'm trying to finish up the guitars the last batch were built for.

Comment

dusty projects

These fender XII type pickup covers were the most difficult I've done so far. The plastic didn't draw down tight on the tall bucks. I was able to save two failed attempts by using jonson's advice to re-heat the plastic with a heat gun, and push it tight to the mold. I did this with the vacuum running.

The guitar was built with the pickup in mind from the start. One piece neck set into a one piece body. One pickup, and one knob. 'Not a whole lot of parts on this one..

I haven't been on here much lately. I had some health problems that kept me from being able to work for months. It was a total drag being unable to do anything strenuous at all. I took a break from forums as well. I'm healthy again, and getting my feet back on the ground, so its time to dust off all of the projects that I abandoned months ago.

Comment

• That's cool all over, John (pickups, covers, and guitar). Glad you're mended and back in the shop, too!

Comment

• I had a friend take some video of the process while I was forming covers. This is with 1/16" ABS.

Comment

• Originally posted by John_H View Post
                          I had a friend take some video of the process while I was forming covers. This is with 1/16" ABS.
                          Cool! It's good to see it done, and how quickly. The aluminum foil under the ABS is a good idea. For the most part, this is what it looks like when I form a cover, but I have to force down those edges. You're definitely heating it up to a floppier temperature than I am. My covers don't suck down so completely to the edges. Either I'm not getting it hot enough, I don't have a good seal on my table, or I don't have strong enough suction, or all three problems.

Comment

• I finally got back to this blue guitar and finished it. This thing is so surfy that if it were to fall down a staircase it would play "Wipeout" as it bounces off of the steps.

Comment

• Do any of you that have been doing vacuum forming think that this could work well for pickup covers?

Dental Vacuum Former

Or would the 5" X 5" table on it be too small?

Comment

• Hmm, that's cool. I don't know what kind of plastic is used in invisi-line braces and retainers, but it's certainly a product designed for thermoforming. 5"x5" is probably going to be a little small, considering an f-spaced humbucker cover is about 2-3/4" wide and the plastic needs to be pulled down 5/8" or more over the sides. While my setup and trials were less than optimal, with a 5"x5" table I would have seen thinning and tearing on those edges.

Comment

Working...
                                X