Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Grease and Oil from Older Winders

Hi,

I've got a couple old Cowecos, like the one in the pic below. Both are completely functional, but one is particularly grungy.

Could someone recommend a product for cleaning them that isn't going to be too aggressive or destructive. Thanks.

Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

naphtha
    Jack Briggs

sigpic
    www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

nice score, BTW!
      Jack Briggs

sigpic
      www.briggsguitars.com

forum.briggsguitars.com

Comment

Thanks! I've been meaning to post some photos of mine. Hope to do so soon. I've got a Model C with a tailstock and a CS without
        Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Comment

Originally posted by jack briggs View Post
          naphtha
          That, and acetone (to remove the congealed oil) as needed.

These are available in paint stores and many hardware stores.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
            That, and acetone (to remove the congealed oil) as needed.

These are available in paint stores and many hardware stores.
            Sorry but acetone is way too aggressive and will lift the paint and destroy any plastic parts.

Naphta is milder but very flammable, be very careful and do not let vapors collect inside any closed or poorly ventilated space.

kerosene is slower, milder, not spark flammable and will not destroy plastic or paints.

It will weaken rubber belts but you donīt need to get them wet, remove them first and besides you will probably replace them anyway.
            I would
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I recommend Zep Purple Industrial Degreaser. It's one of new-fangled water-based parts cleaners that are becoming more popular. Non-flammable, minimal fumes, and definitely won't hurt the plastic, rubber or paint. And it works surprisingly well at cutting grease and oil. My hobby is restoring antique machinery (metalworking lathes, mills, drill presses, etc.) and I now use the Zep Purple for all my parts cleaning. I'm building up a washing tank just for it. It's available at Home Depot, Lowe's, and other fine box stores.

Note: It is water-based, so you do need to get the parts dried off and appropriately protected against rust.

Comment

I keep a bottle of this purple degreaser on hand, is a very versatile cleaner.
                It may be a generic of what Bruce uses.
                ProForce - Member's Mark Commercial Heavy Duty Degreaser - 1 gallon - Sam's Club
                It is a heavy duty water based cleaner, and is fairly cheap.
                I use it to clean tires, concrete floors, you name it.
                Great stuff.
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                  Sorry but acetone is way too aggressive and will lift the paint and destroy any plastic parts.

Naphta is milder but very flammable, be very careful and do not let vapors collect inside any closed or poorly ventilated space.

kerosene is slower, milder, not spark flammable and will not destroy plastic or paints.

It will weaken rubber belts but you donīt need to get them wet, remove them first and besides you will probably replace them anyway.
                  I would
                  Yes, care is required. But I've reconditioned my share of old machine tools, and naptha will not cut oil that has turned into varnish. For this, one must use something that can strip paint.

Comment

Simple Green or the purple stuff and a micro fiber cloth. The micro fiber cloth helps quite a bit.
                    They don't make them like they used to... We do.™
                    www.throbak.com
                    Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Thanks everyone! I've got some Simple Green on hand so I'll give that a go first.
                      Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Comment

Working...
                      X