Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winder Traverse How-To?

Hello...

I see that the other group is now dead, but there was a poster in the other group who wanted to see if an old CD player head mechanism would make a good traverse mech for his winder. I think it's a good idea, but if anyone does this they should find the repair manual for the CD player first. This will help you figure out voltage and polarity for the motor and also what the stepper drive IC chip is too if necessary.

An older good quality home CD player should work, one of the 'first generation' ones by Radio Shack may be OK. I'm thinking of trying one of these.

Ken
    pickups@angeltone.com
    www.angeltone.com

I was wondering if a printer would work.

Comment

I don't really know...

There are many bidirectional head printers out there, but some of these may not have the traverse speed and ability to change direction quickly that a CD player head may have. Maybe some experimentation is in order.

Ken
      www.angeltone.com

Comment

Why not just adapt a level wind from a fishing reel. That's what they're for, simple and reliable.
        Some people also adapt the mechanism from a desk fan.
        sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

J. Gwinn would know the how to's. Please remember, when going this route, this is a pure design your own, and there are no rules..........

Comment

I've got a Lego MindStorms robot kit I'm going to try and make a traverse from. You can use the two steepers and the belt to make a flatbed scanner, so depending on how fast they can move I might be able to program it to work as a traverse.

Not sure when I'll get the time to do this, but I'll keep everyone posted.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

This old thread reminded me of this r/c servo controlled winder - no prizes for guessing who it belonged to though.

S.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4138.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	659.3 KB
ID:	811209

Comment

That's Dave's winder right? I was doing that and gave Dave the parts list servo brand etc. to do that traverse set-up for himself. He kindly returned the favor when he switched to a CNC stepper motor. I did my own variation on the CNC machine set-up. There is actually a linear motion retrofit for that servo.
                They don't make them like they used to... We do.
                www.throbak.com
                Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

I thought that was top secret!

Gives me some good ideas...
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I adapted this nice DC reciprocating motor and it works very well, though I had to do some fabrication. I also built a small variable DC supply so I can control the speed of the traversing.

http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=17264+MD

Cheers,
                    --
                    Don

Comment

Working...
                    X