No announcement yet.

wax pot with what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, everybody for letting me in on your choices for equipment n supplies. Thanks also for the links.

Like Leo, so far I've only potted existing p/u's. But with my obsession for staggering pole hites the ric way, I've ended up with a box of stuff that needs rewinding. (Don't worry, Terry I only buy the stuff I can get a deal on. Anything valuable got resold to support my habit. No collectibles were harmed.)

Well, thanks again. When we get this old farm fixed up n get settled in and I get another shop set up, I'll be wondering what wire to use to get things like the SD 1/4 pound Jaguar to sound as good as it did. Or the Gibson h/b's that came in a garage sale SG w/ the nk popped out sound good to start with.

I expect you'll be as helpful then. Best -r.

Comment

recently got one of these from JC Penny's on sale for $15

cooks 1.5-qt. Mini Dipper - JCPenney

my digital thermometer show it maintain temp just right. warm up the wax on high, and keep it warm on low. if I dunk too many pickups at once, I kick it back to high for a few a minutes

Comment

I use a paraffin warmer. It's intended for people to stick their hands or feet into. It keeps the wax at a perfect temperature, it wont get too hot, wont catch fire, and you can leave it on all day.

My current one is made by GiGi. Avoid the plastic Hometica brand, as they leak.

It's not cheap, but it's worth it if you make a lot of pickups.

https://www.amazon.com/GiGi-Digital-.../dp/B0030ZRSIO
        Attached Files
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Crank it to 12, melt 11 pounds of wax quickly. Turn down to 6 while there's still a good lump of unmelted wax.
          Temperature very nicely controlled.

Attached Files

Comment

I use a couple of different crock pots, the cheap ones from the grocery store. They are both basically the same model. It says Rival and I think they cost maybe $18 each or so when I got them. One of them I have modified by adding a temperature controller that I built out of surplus parts, mostly from ebay. That one controls the temperature to within a few degrees. In it I keep the regular potting wax that I made up a great big batch of long ago. It never changes composition because I will probably never run out of it. At the rate I have been using it up, I have maybe 20 years to go. That mix is roughly 80% paraffin and 20% beeswax with some stearic acid from candles. I tried to control the melting temperature to around 140F so it wouldn't affect the butyrate bobbins if I needed to pot any of those. By the way that's how the batch got so big. The other crock pot I got because I broke the first clay crock so it now uses pyrex bowls I found that would fit. But that turned out to be really handy for me since I can have several with different waxes in them, or in one case hide glue. I can either use it with the same temperature controller or not, and usually I don't bother with the swap, I just run it off the regular wall socket power and use a meat thermometer. The pyrex bowls have my specialty waxes like the black wax with lampblack for some of the Fender pickups and the soft wax like was used on speed bumps and some other vintage pickups. That one is about half and half paraffin and toilet seal wax. Yep I said toilet seal wax. But I think that's pretty close to what it was. I also use that other crockpot to heat up hide glue for guitar repairs. I do a lot of vintage type rewinds, so I need to keep a variety of waxes on hand for that, if I want them to be accurate. I have tried vacuum potting but it is too much trouble for the small difference it makes IMO. I pot them one at the time (I never do multiples it cools off too fast) and if I want the wax to go all the way through I leave them in for 20 minutes or more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	waxpots.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	843364
            www.sonnywalton.com
            How many guitars do you need? Just one more.

Comment

I use a small crock pot I picked up for $15 Cdn. at one of those cargo excess type stores. My wax mix is ~ 80% paraffin and 20% beeswax. I pot in the 140F - 145F zone and use a cheap variac to control the temperature through reduced voltage to the crock pot heater coils. I changed the lid so I could hook up a vacuum pump for vacuum potting (the lid has since been reinforced with a piece of 1 1/2" aluminum bar on edge across the top of the lid to eliminate the possibility of it imploding on me. Don`t recall potting anything for more than ~ 20 seconds.

Last edited by kayakerca; 08-20-2016, 12:32 PM.
              Take Care,

Jim. . .
              VA3DEF

Comment

kayakera,
                That vacuum rig up looks nicely pro Before I was wax potting I used varnish in a mayo jar. I punched a hole in the lid and epoxied in a plastic hand pump made for automotive brake system bleeding. I once let the pickups sit for a couple of minutes without vacuuming. No more bubbles rising. Then I started pumping and A LOT more air was evacuated from the pickups. Vacuum potting is A LOT more thorough. I guess it's questionable whether or not it's necessary since most guys DON'T vacuum pot and they do fine.?. At the very least it can reduce the potting time.

I use wax now because it takes as much as a month for the varnish to set well. Also, varnish will get harder and harder with age until it's brittle some fifteen to twenty years later. My current rig is a recycled coffee pot with a wide mouth carafe. I cut off the brew system so it's just a hot plate. The plate is factory set for 165*F. I read somewhere that Ideal is 150* to 155* so I put a tile between the hot plate and the carafe. It maintains a nice steady 155*. I have some wooden sticks in the bottom to keep the pickups from direct contact with the heat source. I tap the pickups while submerged and it seems to evacuate a bit more air. A little cumbersome, but I don't pot much and it's a free rig.
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent View Post
                  recently got one of these from JC Penny's on sale for $15

cooks 1.5-qt. Mini Dipper - JCPenney

my digital thermometer show it maintain temp just right. warm up the wax on high, and keep it warm on low. if I dunk too many pickups at once, I kick it back to high for a few a minutes
                  Rod, how long does it take to heat ~1.5 qt wax?
                  Thanks.

Comment

Cheap walmart slow cooker.

Gets up to temp pretty quick, the temp is fairly stable.

I use bee and paraffin, dipped just long enough that the air bubbles stop.

I don't think I dip them for more than a couple minutes.

Firebirds I try to keep as much wax as I can in them.

I'll use a heat gun after wards to clean up the outside.

Comment

I use a small 3 speed crock pot and a light bulb limiter.
                      I plug it into the wall and melt the wax quickly on high, then I plug it into the limiter once melted and maintain 140F.
                      I will eventually buy a cheap Variac, and use it instead of the light bulb limiter.
                      The advantage of that, is the variac has many uses, including working on guitar amps, which I also do.
                      https://www.google.com/?client=ubunt...36108464154098
                      Also, if I may name drop, that is how I've heard Jason Lollar does it!
                      T
                      Last edited by big_teee; 08-24-2016, 04:34 PM.
                      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                        ...if I may name drop, that is how I've heard Jason Lollar does it!
                        You may. Lollar is a local in my area. I've never met him (other than here) but we have a mutual client.
                        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                        X