Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got an LCR meter and it shows the most recent pickup that I wound to have an inductance of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got an LCR meter and it shows the most recent pickup that I wound to have an inductance of

5.365H @ 120hz. So, now what? What can be determined from this data? I'm sure it is a good way to confirm that you have successfully duplicated winding more than one pickup with the same characteristics but what else can this be used for?

Originally posted by smisco View Post
    5.365H @ 120hz. So, now what? What can be determined from this data? I'm sure it is a good way to confirm that you have successfully duplicated winding more than one pickup with the same characteristics but what else can this be used for?
    PU inductance together with cable capacitance defines the resonant frequency and the upper frequency limit. Higher inductance means less treble and more pronounced midrange.

For guitar PUs:

Vintage Strat PUs are around 2.3H +/-10%. Typical Gibson PAFs are around 4.5H. A 5.4H humbucker would be in the ballpark of a Gibson Classic 57.

I recommend to compare PUs with different inductance values for sound reference.

Inductance is roughly proportional to the turns number squared. So 10% more turns roughly increases inductance by 20%.
    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

I'm guessing that my pickup is somewhat different than a 57 Classic----The 57 Classic that I owned measured just under 8K my pickup is about 8.6k.----Maybe Gibson used more turns per layer and less total winds to get to 5.4H---My pickup also has an A5 magnet and if I remember correctly the 57 Classic used an A2----Maybe similar output levels but different tonal characteristics?

Comment

I'm guessing that my pickup is somewhat different than a 57 Classic----The 57 Classic that I owned measured just under 8K my pickup is about 8.6k.----Maybe Gibson used more turns per layer and less total winds to get to 5.4H---My pickup also has an A5 magnet and if I remember correctly the 57 Classic used an A2----Maybe similar output levels but different tonal characteristics?
        Magnet type and DCR have little effect PU filter response. The dominating parameter is inductance (+cable capacitance). Actually DCR is rather useless - once you know inductance.
        Just listen to the PUs in the same guitar with same cable adjust for same polepiece to string distance and vary PU parameters.
        Last edited by Helmholtz; 02-10-2020, 10:46 PM.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Also measure Dissipation (or Quality, the inverse) to detect shorted turns, by comparison with the values from known good pickups of the same make and model.

Comment

Working...
          X