My new winder. Its simple, it works, and was cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new winder. Its simple, it works, and was cheap

Here's the link to the pictures. I got a number of ideas from this the forum. I initially used a little RC filter for a debounce circuit but found that it was unnecessary with the counter I ended up using. Total cost was under $100. All of the specifics and part sources I could remember are included in the narratives under each picture.

The adjustable fixture for holding the reed switch is essential because a slight adjustment in or out makes the counter unstable. Its just a matter of adjusting the screws until the counter reads properly and doing this isn't quirky at all.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562278096VdLpKW
    Keep the shiney side up

Cool, nice job.

It's tough getting reed switches dialed in. When I was experimenting with my counter I tried a few different magnets. The little neo magnet like you're using is overkill. Try a weaker magnet. It should be easier to adjust. In mine I'm using a 1/4"d x 1/2"l AlNiCo rod. drilled right into the side of my counter wheel.

The wire guide is a little high. It's much easier to wind if you can rest your hand on the tabletop. I didn't like the idea of dragging the wire over a bar so close to the bobbin. I used some small locking collars, threaded rod, and shrinktube to make vertical guides.

Comment

Ergonomics are going to be addressed as I start using the winder. I think you're right about the hand position and it would probably have a substancial impact on the end result if the heel of my hand were at rest while my fingers controlled the tension, scatter and fill. I'd like to build a storage box for the winder with a place to safely keep rolls of wire and winding consumables -- its nice to have everything together and I don't have the bench space to keep the thing set up. Maybe my hardwood gloss lacquered storage case can employ a nice leather padded hand rest, a cup holder and ash tray.
      Keep the shiney side up

Comment

Hey Mark, good to have you here.

You are in NJ?
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Yes, I'm in Chesterfield and work in Hamilton. I just discovered this forum a few days ago when someone on the mimf told me to google "pickup makers forum". I build about a dozen or so guitars per year and although I have my favorite pickups, I'd like to try to make my own so I can break away a bit from all of the repeating guitar themes. I'd like to build pickups that visually compliment my guitars. The shop that I work in has been in business for about 30 years and I'm always coming across pickups from the early '60s before there was such a standardization of shapes and styles. Just yesterday I found an old Tiesco singlecoil that had a mother of pearl cover. Often these old pickups sound great. I also come across many dead pups that just need a rewind. There is so much to learn and I'm just starting out.
          Keep the shiney side up

Comment

I'm not sure where Chesterfield is, but my wife is from Hamilton.

I'm making pickups pretty much for the same reason. I eventually grew tired of the pickups I was using, and decided to make my own. I like mine a lot better. And I get to try new ideas. I just finished up a new set this weekend based on things I tried with Andy Gamble's pickups, and I like these best of all.

I been making basses for a while now and this is the first time I've played one of them with totally passive electronics, and it sounds great.

My first bass was a Teisco ('68 Kawai Concert). I loved the sound of those pickups. A lot of those old pickups, like the DeArmond/Rowe stuff sound great. It's a different single coil tone... not the same old Strat thing.

There's a bunch of very talented people here.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Check out the brass pups I just posted in the pickup makers forum.
              Keep the shiney side up

Comment

First Tech Upgrade Needed.
                You need to install a switch from the reed switch to the counter for when you have a glitch and need to unwind a bunch of wire. The counter doesn't care which way the pully is rotating and continues to count upwards when unwinding. This counter has an up or down jumper setting on the PCB but I don't know whether its switchable in mid count. If it is, an on-on toggle switch at that jumper would be even better.
                Keep the shiney side up

Comment

Originally posted by Wrnchbndr View Post
                  Check out the brass pups I just posted in the pickup makers forum.
                  I remember those. I was thinking of your pickups when I read the brass bobbin title.

Comment

Very Nice!

That is a nice little winder. I have an old sewing machine motor like that that I want to do the same with. thanks for sharing!
                    Shannon Hooge
                    NorthStar Guitar
                    northstarguitar.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wrnchbndr View Post
                      Yes, I'm in Chesterfield and work in Hamilton. I just discovered this forum a few days ago when someone on the mimf told me to google "pickup makers forum". I build about a dozen or so guitars per year and although I have my favorite pickups, I'd like to try to make my own so I can break away a bit from all of the repeating guitar themes. I'd like to build pickups that visually compliment my guitars. The shop that I work in has been in business for about 30 years and I'm always coming across pickups from the early '60s before there was such a standardization of shapes and styles. Just yesterday I found an old Tiesco singlecoil that had a mother of pearl cover. Often these old pickups sound great. I also come across many dead pups that just need a rewind. There is so much to learn and I'm just starting out.

Praise jebus!

Good to hear that someone other than me appreciates the creative build and appearance of old Japanese guitars..... you might appreciate my recent find: Czech it out!

it's a Columbia csg-631... it took me freaking forever to find out...my friend suggested I name it something in japanese, so I tried to approximate "red mystery" the tone is golden, but very microphonic....upon further examination, the pickups are un-potted! I would pot them, but I'm afraid it might take away some of the tone...

sorry to get off-topic...
                      Last edited by J-chot; 01-12-2009, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X