Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organization

Hey all...

So, as my project station (desk) gets more and more full of pickup parts, magnets, etc, I got to thinking: What is everyone else using for organization of these parts? Or are many of you working in a JIT fashion?

I know there are things like sets of drawers for screws/bolts/fuses/whatever people use in their garages/sheds, tackle boxes, things like that. But I think it would be interesting to see what others are doing. Post some pics (if you want ;-) )!

A unit like this accomodates small hardware and finished pickups:

Click image for larger version

Name:	71HIAVFDa3L._AC_SL1200_.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	913128

Larger bins such as these can store Pickups already packaged, in bags or cardboard/wood/plastic boxes:

Name:	AAXV_1_201904121750652654.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	913129

any larger you are entering Amazon regional distribution territory

Serioously, with the smaller one over your bench and the larger one standing at your left you have almost everything on hand without standing up from your workbench.

At least, thatīs what I use.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

I had a zillion plastic drawer bins like that. And a couple shelves like the yellow ones there. For smaller parts I also used "Bobbin boxes". A flat plastic box with hinged lid, and small section dividers in side. SOld to keep thread bobbins, also sold as fishing tackle boxes. I had one for metric screws,, one for grommets, one for jack nuts (and switch nuts), Music store had one for a pick selection.

I used to use drawer bins for resistors, then I discovered manilla "coin envelopes" Each value got an envelope, wrote value and whatever on the flap, and stacked them on end like files in a drawer, aall in a box. Took up way less room, and eliminated a whole drawer for five 16k resistors. I then adopted that method for TO92 transistors, my zener collection - wwhich was substantial - and regular diodes.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        I had a zillion plastic drawer bins like that. And a couple shelves like the yellow ones there. For smaller parts I also used "Bobbin boxes". A flat plastic box with hinged lid, and small section dividers in side. SOld to keep thread bobbins, also sold as fishing tackle boxes. I had one for metric screws,, one for grommets, one for jack nuts (and switch nuts), Music store had one for a pick selection.

I used to use drawer bins for resistors, then I discovered manilla "coin envelopes" Each value got an envelope, wrote value and whatever on the flap, and stacked them on end like files in a drawer, aall in a box. Took up way less room, and eliminated a whole drawer for five 16k resistors. I then adopted that method for TO92 transistors, my zener collection - wwhich was substantial - and regular diodes.
        I have several of the types Fahey posted, several "tackle box" types enzo mentioned, and some metal cabinet style bins I got from a Jewelry manufacturer.
        But, I'm not gonna' lie, I'm also a sucker for heavy stock, high quality cardboard boxes that when I can snag them for free. For instance, Apple has some of the best packaging you could ever want to horde.
        I will also say this: I think Home Depot has a shit tool section and tools for the most part. But if you can get your hands on these bins made by Husky, they are the best kind I've ever used. Period. It's the best thing Husky's ever done.
        https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-7-...1N15/206923596

Name:	clear-husky-small-parts-organizers-83061n15-64_1000.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	913855
        https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-9-...2N15/206923574

Name:	clear-husky-small-parts-organizers-83062n15-64_1000.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	913854
        Grab them fast, because I think Husky is discontinuing them and replacing them with something much worse
        If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Also, when I was building a bench and shop, I made up some labels for resistor and capacitors to keep everything organized and cataloged. I figured other people might have some use for these so I set them up for a couple of different options. Much of how they are formatted and divided was determined by what I had and how much I had at the time, however, the PDFs are save to keep all the relevant information so that they can be edited in Illustrator or other vector software.
          One of the labels is formatted and laid out to print on Avery (Part # in file name) shipping label paper. The other 2 have cut lines and is formatted for standard letter(US) size paper.
          Resistor Labels - Avery Label 5260.pdf
          Resistor Labels - letter size paper.pdf
          Capacitor Labels.pdf

..and while I can't imagine why anyone would use them for anything else other than saving themselves the time to write the labels out, they were created solely by me, and therefore:
          • they are free to be downloaded, printed, and edited solely for personal use. I'm offering them freely and therefore cannot be sold, used for advertising, distributed, included in anything sold, or re-posted without my permission.
          Attached Files
          If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

Working...
          X