want to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want to buy

I am looking for stacked coil bobbins to make hum canceling "single coils". Any one know where to source such things?

also wood bobbins. I would like to try something other than plastic

I'm no winder but I don't think it's possible to use a single bobbin with two coils to make a humbucker. There are a couple of problems.

First you want the interfering signal from the two coils to be in opposite phase and the wanted one in the same phase. To make that happen the coils are wound in the same direction but the magnetic field direction is reversed. For a single coil the magnetic field direction has to be the same for both meaning the wanted and unwanted signals are in the same phase.

The other issue is the number of turns will be halved, making the output signal smaller and frequency peak higher when compared to a conventional humbucker, although that might be considered desirable.
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Oh Its absolutely possible. Lots of manufacturers make them. I'm just not finding a source for parts.

Comment

Stacked humbuckers typically use 2 bobbins, sometimes using magnetic "separator" elements between. The lower coil is essentially passive, not picking up string signal. It's too far from the strings anyway to produce a useful signal.

Why not just use typical single coil flatwork?
        Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-07-2020, 04:59 PM.
        - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Normal flatwork ? I'm gonna have to think about how to put that together with out being too tall. maybe use wood dowels for pole pieces to hold the bottom bobbin together and be any size I want. Hmmmm

Comment

I recommend to read and understand the relevant PU patents before you start, as details matter. At least that would be my approach.
            https://www.gitec-forum-eng.de/wp-co...iscoveries.pdf
            (compilation by Prof. Manfred Zollner)

e.g. https://patents.google.com/patent/US4442749A/en
            Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-07-2020, 09:51 PM.
            - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Thx for the links HH. It would seem to me that the performance of the stacked coil arrangement would be rather poor compared to the side by side. It would appear the unwanted field will couple (very) unequally in the two coils while the wanted signal will be still be present to a small extent in the lower. The overall result is that both the output and rejection will be lower, making the ratio much worse.

I think the side by side coils fitting into single coil footprint would offer better performance and I see such bobbins are readily available.
              Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
                Thx for the links HH. It would seem to me that the performance of the stacked coil arrangement would be rather poor compared to the side by side. It would appear the unwanted field will couple (very) unequally in the two coils while the wanted signal will be still be present to a small extent in the lower. The overall result is that both the output and rejection will be lower, making the ratio much worse.

I think the side by side coils fitting into single coil footprint would offer better performance and I see such bobbins are readily available.
                I agree that side-by-side HBs are superior by principle. Stacked HBs always have the "burden" of the lower dummy coil, meaning either a series or parallel inductance, even if the design minimizes unwanted signal in the lower coil. Some designs try to compensate by using stronger magnets. E.g. longer Alnico magnets having increased pole flux density.
                The only real benefits are the form factor and the small "single coil" aperture.
                Last edited by Helmholtz; 11-07-2020, 10:19 PM.
                - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

hi 888guitars,

3PCS Prebuilt Constructed ST N.M.B Humbucker Pickup Flatwork with Alnico Rod nets Guitar Pickup Accessories
                  look for those at: aliexpress.com
                  greetings,
                  chr.

Comment

better try this:

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/10050...archweb201603_

Comment

I saw what you want on thingyverse yesterday, but the search facility is useless - can't find it now - but it was a one piece, stacked, two former STL

I did find this though - maybe better?
                      https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4596163

Comment

Originally posted by basscu View Post
                        That's a neat way to do it.
                        I never thought about putting the base in the middle.
                        With long magnets, and ready made parts you could build that design.
                        Wind from one side, turn it over, wind the same direction, and you should be reverse wound.
                        Thanks for sharing this design and idea!
                        T
                        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                        Terry

Comment

Working...
                        X