Screen Resistor Wattage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
    I think it's unlikely overcurrent through an oversized screen resistor would take out an OT since screen current doesn't flow through the OT. That said, it might indicate some other type of tube failure that would.
    It will be the plate current that causes the problem, but shutting down the screen will often disable the failed tube. So a bit of a fail-safe for tin foil or 20A fuse replacements as you say. Sort of like the Ampeg internal fuse in series with the external mains fuse.

Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

A screen to cathode or heater short results in very low plate current just like disconnecting the screen.
      When eventually the plate shorts to cathode or heater, an open screen resistor won't help.

I agree that an opening screen resistor may prevent further damage with an UL amp.
      Last edited by Helmholtz; 07-05-2024, 12:06 PM.
      - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post

What if I have one of those fancy hated late-70s/early-80s "UL" Fenders? A 75 to be precise... I guess I could just intentionally try to blow it up in the name of "sCiEnCe," but I think getting a replacement OT will cost me as much as the amp!

Jusrin (Local Resident Doofus)
        Yep. The UL amps are a whole different animal.
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          But not uncommon either. In fact the UL "guitar amp" we're most familiar with here, the 135W Twin Reverb, does have 1W 470R individual screen grid resistors.
          I stand corrected.
          - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

It's funny. When I wrote post #11, I was actually contemplating bringing up an exception for UL amps. Then, I thought- nobody's gonna go there. Well, ...... leave it to Jusrin.
            Last edited by The Dude; 07-05-2024, 01:16 AM.
            "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

SOMEbody has to love late 70s & early 80s Fenders... May as well be me. Plus they're stupid cheap.

Jusrin
              "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
              "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
              "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                SOMEbody has to love late 70s & early 80s Fenders... May as well be me. Plus they're stupid cheap.

Jusrin
                I bought a 1980 Twin reverb for $400 and flipped it a month later for $650. I did go over the amp and I fixed up some really ripped up tolex. One tubes socket needed TLC. Nobody likes the Twins but I am here to tell you keyboard players might be one exception.
                When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

I never liked the Twins. Not even the BF Twin Reverb. Too much power and a small, open back cabinet. Eh. Then I built a 50W 2x12 on a customer request and... I'm not crazy about that amp either. Maybe it's the 2x12 open back sound I don't like.?.
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                    I never liked the Twins. Not even the BF Twin Reverb. Too much power and a small, open back cabinet. Eh. Then I built a 50W 2x12 on a customer request and... I'm not crazy about that amp either. Maybe it's the 2x12 open back sound I don't like.?.
                    Regarding 2x12 combos:
                    I remember an occasion where I was invited to a session by a rich guy who liked to do some Cream stuff.
                    The guy was a drummer (a Ginger Baker wannabe) owning lots of stuff.
                    Said "just bring your guitar, I'll provide the amp".
                    Ok, picked my LP and TS-9 and when arrived found 2 amps: A Marshall full stack and a BF Pro Reverb.
                    Tried both amps and went with the Pro cause it sounded so much better.
                    Would love to own this amp.
                    - Own Opinions Only -

Comment

Working...
                    X