No announcement yet.

Who is your favorite parts suppliers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who ARE.....geez. Where are the Grammar Nazis when you need them!

Comment

I typically use Mouser or Digikey for components, and CE Distribution or Tube Depot for filter caps and tubes,

Comment

Originally posted by Axtman View Post
        I forgot to mention that I also use Parts Express (https://www.parts-express.com/), but mostly for complete PCBs and Class D amp modules.
        You can get a lot of stuff from their affiliates even if the parts aren't listed on their site. I've gotten a lot of stuff from LOUD / Ampeg and Roland through them that weren't listed. They've always been super personable through email and on the phone too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
          CE Distribution is not casual about accepting accounts. They currently require a copy of a re-sale certificate or business license. I have also received phone calls from them regarding questions about my business name. After all that, their pricing is only a little bit better than they charge through AES. It's certainly not what I would consider "wholesale" compared to the standards of the old days. Point being that, if you are a hobbyist buying from AES, you are not missing out on great deals from CE Dist.
          I'm not sure if the whole sale pricing from CE is the same from one account to the other, but I've found that for a number of products (tubes, passive components, jacks, and even guitar parts) CE has some great prices. Sometimes the best value doesn't kick in until you reach their bulk pricing.
          For non-amp specific parts, I've bought from the big 4 - Mouser, Newark, Digikey, and Allied. Over the last couple of years, most of our parts have come from either Newark or Mouser based on price and availability of in stock items.
          One great feature I stumbled upon is this: if you go to Newark.com and type in "overstock" in the search field, you can search sale and clearance stock and the prices are ridiculous.
          I've done really well restocking commonly used and high value components this way. Often, the shipping ends up being the most expensive part of the transaction (by design for sure).
          If I have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer, I guess wrong 80% of the time.

Comment

I wish I could order from CE Distribution, but I am just a lowly hobbyist.

I am not that concerned about prices (to a point) and usually order a few spares for my stock and/or in case I blow the new parts up.

Comment

Here is what I believe is a little known DigiKeyfeature.

If you are not in a hurry you can get free shipping and handling for any size order.

You can find the details at https://www.digikey.com/en/terms-and-conditions
              Revision 5.3, 2024-03-26
              Digi-Key Terms of Use and Conditions of Order.
              See:
              Section 6: Shipping Charges which includes: "When a check or money order accompanies your order, Digi-Key pays all shipping and insurance (our choice for method of shipping) to all addresses in the U.S. and Canada."

7. Handling Charge which includes: "
              There is no minimum order or handling fee."

You mail your order and check to:
              Digi-Key Electronics
              701 Brooks Avenue South
              PO Box 677
              Thief River Falls MN
              56701-0677
              USA

I have not tried this but a few years ago I did an on line chat with Digikey Rep Megan X6068 and asked where to find the Digikey Mail Order form. She said that there is no specific form. Just use your own PO.​ In the olden days there was a tear out order page in the back of the paper catalog.

Background - Digi-Key's founder made a Digital Keyer for ham radio use, and hated interbank credit card fees (back then, 6-7%...), so with a prepaid order, you got your stuff shipped free.​

Has anyone used this deal?

Cheers,
              Tom

Comment

"When a check or money order accompanies your order, Digi-Key pays all shipping and insurance (our choice for method of shipping) to all addresses in the U.S. and Canada."

So, if you mail in your order with the payment enclosed, you get free shipping?

I guess that's ok if you are not in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                  ...So, if you mail in your order with the payment enclosed, you get free shipping?
                  I guess that's ok if you are not in a hurry.
                  Yep. When your not in a hurry. It would work out well for someone who needed something that would require excessive shipping cost compared to the item cost. I read a lot of complaints about a minimum shipping cost approaching $10 when someone only needs a $1 part.

Comment

I have also used Vetco Electronics (https://vetco.net/). I go there in person since there is more stuff in their store. There is even an aisle of used books and test gear.

Comment

AES, Mouser, Parts Express. Ebay in a pinch for unobtaniums (with very careful criteria). I've ordered a few products from Edcor and been very pleased with the results. They even made me a proprietary one off order for a power transformer they offered for Euro voltages that I needed for US voltages and used my order as an excuse to develop that PT primary/product and then shipped it to me at the published price Their shipping policies are crappy as of the last order I placed (hopefully they've gotten on top of that?) but great product, service and customer support!
                      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

For those on the West Coast....

I have gone to Jameco Electronics for misc items. They have been at the same location for the last 50 years - in Belmont, CA. For those our of state guys, Belmont is about 10 minutes just south of the SF airport.

I have bought fans, small components, etc from them. I see they now carry some Hammond Transformers. Quick shipping, reasonable in prices. But this is definitely NOT Mouser or Digikey or Antique Electronic Supply.
                        It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by TomCarlos View Post
                          ...I have gone to Jameco Electronics for misc items...
                          Jameco is one of the few suppliers that still carries CDS Photocells!

Comment

Working...
                          X