A Real Electric Guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Real Electric Guitar

I ran across the attached photos recently. It looks to me like it was built in the 1950's.
    I don't think we should bother looking for a UL sticker on this one.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Guitar with Built in Tube Preamp_1.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	713.0 KB
ID:	1003543 Click image for larger version

Name:	Guitar with Built in Tube Preamp_2.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	789.1 KB
ID:	1003544

No room for a built in speaker.... !!!!
    Last edited by TomCarlos; 08-30-2024, 12:25 AM.
    It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Plug the guitar right into a speaker cabinet, hhhhhhmmmmm. Could also be a radio and not a guitar.

Comment

Just trying to one up the Airline folks with their amplifier case!

Comment

I thought I'd seen most everything, but that's a new one to me!
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Voodoo!!! It looks like the case, neck and else are some resin.?. And it looks like there's a nixie tube in there? (reason?). Bizzarre and the first time I've seen anything like it

EDIT: I wouldn't plug it in before completely anylizing the circuit and doing some tests. Which I might never do if "I" had it. Crazy!
            Last edited by Chuck H; 08-30-2024, 03:27 AM.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

If I had that, I'd absolutely have to make it work. My brain wouldn't let me do otherwise. To let it sit would be like not scratching a mosquito bite.

Edit; I just did several Google searches and can't find a picture of anything even close. The construction sure looks like a production piece, but I have to wonder if it's a one-off somebody made?
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Ok... Not a Nixie. Probably some kind of regulator? The outer screening threw me. What the heck! Looking forward to a schematic (if you're inclined). (<period) Something I probably wouldn't get to right away at all. But I'll be watching.

EDIT: Just looking up the UBF80 tube and my brain exploded.
                Last edited by Chuck H; 08-30-2024, 12:44 PM.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

cant even make out the peghead name. Hufman?
                  ..Click image for larger version  Name:	odd guitar peghead.jpg Views:	0 Size:	10.2 KB ID:	1003582

Comment

There's some info here: https://www.audioculture.co.nz/artic...z-made-guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Robinson View Post
                      Look close... It's the exact same guitar. I think the above link implies the guitar in the photo is a prototype so that would make sense.
                      Last edited by Chuck H; 08-30-2024, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post

Look close... It's the exact same guitar. I think the above link implies the guitar in the photo is a prototype so that would make sense.
                        I'm sure I saw some more detailed information on this very guitar posted to a forum sometime in the last few weeks (not one I frequent or I'd have a better recollection), but I can't for the life of me remember where. Fairly sure it was the son or grandson of the builder doing some investigation. I found the above link by doing a reverse image search, but wasn't able to find any further info besides a few links to Twitter which I didn't explore.

Comment

Getting strong ElectroBoom vibes here...
                          I wonder if it will make you ACT like a rock star after you shock yourself with it?

I'd rock it.

Jusrin
                          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

THIS WAS A VERY WORTHY POST including the follow-up document to take back to the infancy of electric guitars and so many variants that evolved over time. Definitely a hand-wired tube amp with quite a multiwire tail to connect to another work of mystery to make it all work. Imagine the evolution of prototypes leading up to what we see there in the photos!

AMAZING. Wonder if Neil Young ever saw this and inspired him to hollowing out “Big Black” Les Paul?
                            Last edited by nevetslab; 10-06-2024, 12:48 PM.
                            Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence

Comment

from the website linked above:
                              'English guitar designer Alan Entwistle remembers the Electrostatic as shaped like a modern Steinberger and "interesting but dangerous".'

dangerous. heh. no doubt!

also mentioned on this site http://www.audiosite.org/guitar.html
                              If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                              If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                              We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                              MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Working...
                              X