Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone seen this meter or better yet have or tired one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone seen this meter or better yet have or tired one?

I know what many will say, but i'm not tech and i don't need pro stuff. I have a cheap fluke but no lit screen is a PITA a lot of the time. And this things automatic functionality looks pretty cool. https://buletboard.com/products/last...KHn3_ruUck0a4w

My experience with even expensive name brand like Fluke "autofunction" (not autoranging) meters has not been great. When the meter decides what function it is measuring for you - ACV/DCV/resistance/capacitance/diode/etc, rather than being able to make an explicit choice, like say the AC ripple on a DC line, is severely limiting. Most of this style still allow function selection, but unless I'm reading the promotional material wrong, this does not.
    There are plenty of good autoranging meters with backlight available in the same price range, even name brands like UNI-T.

Comment

Sep 12, 2024
      Received multimeter and it was…

Received multimeter and it was defective and I requested authorization to return. was requested to send picture and I did and was told someone will get back to me, and have had no reply despite my repeated requests.
      Date of experience: July 15, 2024

Sep 7, 2024

Do not trust this site

Do not trust this site! I purchased a multimeter for $21 including tax and shipping. Hit billed for more than $25. No way to contact customer service. Reported the purchase as fraud to my cc company.

​​

Comment

Lots of choices on Amazon.
        Amazon has ratings, and feedback.
        I've bought a ton of stuff off of amazon, to date, not sent anything back.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=multimete...f=nb_sb_noss_1
        GL,
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          Lots of choices on Amazon.
          Amazon has ratings, and feedback.
          I've bought a ton of stuff off of amazon, to date, not sent anything back.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=multimete...f=nb_sb_noss_1
          GL,
          T
          Rossmann has made a couple videos recently about fake reviews and crap products on Amazon too!

On the UniT meters their auto ranging cheapies (UT121A, UT121B, UT122) might be worth a look.

feature matrix
          Click image for larger version

Name:	UniT cheapies.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1004722

Comment

I'm not looking for a meter I just happened to see that and thought it was so cheap (even shows a second ad for same model at $17) and had a backlight that it might be worthwhile. But i have 2 meters so i'm not actively looking. The lack of a light is annoying at times but not a big enough deal to look for a new one. t

Comment

Originally posted by daz View Post
              I know what many will say, but i'm not tech and i don't need pro stuff. I have a cheap fluke but no lit screen is a PITA a lot of the time. And this things automatic functionality looks pretty cool. https://buletboard.com/products/last...KHn3_ruUck0a4w
              My antivirus blew a gasket when I clicked on that link.
              "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

I just took a look and same meter on Aliepress can be had for $3. I'd take a chance for that. The meter is most unlikely to have any form of protection and the CAT rating is likely to be bogus. Maybe OK for low voltage stuff, but I wouldn't use one on a tube amp. I've noticed that reading a pickup DC resistance can be all over the place with cheap autoranging DMMs - background noise induced through EMI causes a ghost AC which is enough to keep the meter flipping between resistance and voltage. If the meter has a function lock that should be OK, but you'd need to buy one to find out how it is in practice.

Comment

the Uni-T is very readable and includes a backlight and flashlight , here is a US source that is not much over the Chinese price you posted
                  https://www.ebay.com/itm/32559910101...Bk9SR8SdvuLCZA

Comment

I haven't chimed in here because...

As daz pointed out he's not looking for a DMM per se" but rather this one has features he likes and is "afforable" enough that it could be considered a cheapy and no great loss if a rough circumstance blew it up. I can get behind that thinking for sure but the reviews and opinions on the meter in question are nebulous at best and could probably be considered bad at worst. So...

Yes there are some really decent cheap meters out there. Maybe this isn't one of them. But if you do your homework with reviews, shootouts, best of listings, etc. and you can probably find a cheap meter with the desired features that has more approval and reputation. Putting in that work is easier than whatever it took to earn the money you'll spend. Especially since any unreviewed cheapy DMM could go caput the first time you put the screws to it.

Maybe try "best DMM under 50 2023" or even (2022) or something like that and then look for the features you want. Voltage rating and Mohm isolation are important matters for guitar amp work (as already pointed out) so look for that too. A meter with the features you want that blows up because it lacks the specs it needs is wasted money.
                    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
                      the Uni-T is very readable and includes a backlight and flashlight , here is a US source that is not much over the Chinese price you posted
                      https://www.ebay.com/itm/32559910101...Bk9SR8SdvuLCZA
                      I just ordered one. I figured what the heck for 30 bucks. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

"I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Don't all y'all have Harbor Freight where you live?
                        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
                          I certainly don't here in Australia!

That said, from what I understand the Harbor Freight multimeters are typically rebranded Uni-T and Mastech with a slight markup. Of course there is the oft-mentioned "free" or coupon multimeters. Generally not good for use on tube amps or mains voltage, but if free or close-to, why not.

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
                            We got one here on Whidbey about a year ago. I've wanted to visit but haven't yet. I'll bet Harbor Freight is grumpy for this location too. Parking lot is always empty.
                            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                            X