Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg V-9 SVT Filter capacitors Replacement

Hello folks,
    I thought I'd post this cap replacement on this Ampeg V-9 SVT from the 70's. I think it was the most efficient use of the cap-cans that were insulated as well as placement of the extraneous Stick-o-Dynamite caps.
    The 50-50uf @ 450V cap-cans are only replacing the 2ea 100uf @ 450 caps (C10 100uf @ 450V brown Stick-o-Dynamite) and (C-12A in the cap-can). I used these blue bracket mounted cap-cans the one needs to be electrically insulated from the chassis as well as insulated from anyone touching it...ZAPP!
    The other half of the cap-cans that are 40uf @ 450v are replaced in the lower right corner on the terminal strips.
    The 30uf @ 600V Stick-o-Dynamite cap is replaced by those two 100uf @ 350v blue caps in series with the divider resistors across them.
    The bias filter cap is the Radial cap on the terminal strip.
    It was a bit tricky to get all the floating grounds connected to each other and isolated from the chassis. The power amp chassis is grounded thru a 10ohm resistor at the preamp out jack and that ground line is eventually grounded at the input jack of the preamp chassis.
    Ampeg's original method of preventing ground loops. Seems they did that as it was the easier method of dealing with ground loops. I've had issues with even this method in some of their combos of the same era where a previous tech replaced the filter cap, but did not use the phenolic wafer to isolate the can ground from the chassis. I generally had to split the black ground wire and ground the preamp at the input jack & the cap-can at a star ground at the cap-can. Interesting that Ampeg didn't think to do it that way.
    I watched a few videos by The Guitologist on the older Ampeg combos where he couldn't figure out the ground-loop issue, and ended up reaming out the input jacks so he could add insulated washers. Not the way I would have approached it, as you now a grounding system that relies on the equipment attached to the input jacks to keep the integrity of the grounding system of the amp. Although I give him a lot of credit for shooting his methods & real time repairs for all to benefit from, I tend to not want to deface vintage equipment that way and endeavor to ferrite out the real cause or develop a different way of going about it.
    Glen

Attached Files
    Last edited by Mars Amp Repair; 09-26-2024, 02:57 PM. Reason: Addl info

Adding images
    Attached Files

Comment

Old Ampeg SVTs have some hum some more some less, but these are not quiet amps. It's mianly because 700+ DC travelling in the same wire batch as signal and ground wires. Solution is to separate them from the molex connector. I did the "JACK" mod so I have put male/female jack connection from upper to lower chasis outside molex, so these are far from the 700VDC. Amp is dead quiet with matched tubes (and good 6C4).

Comment

Thanx Boroman,
        I've heard somewhere on this forum abt the 'Standby Switch' mod for one of the SVT's. If it were any worse on this V9, I'd pursue the mod you mentioned. It's all back together and ready to go. It's already sold.
        Thanx Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Amp Repair View Post
          I watched a few videos by The Guitologist on the older Ampeg combos where he couldn't figure out the ground-loop issue, and ended up reaming out the input jacks so he could add insulated washers. Not the way I would have approached it, as you now a grounding system that relies on the equipment attached to the input jacks to keep the integrity of the grounding system of the amp. Although I give him a lot of credit for shooting his methods & real time repairs for all to benefit from, I tend to not want to deface vintage equipment that way and endeavor to ferrite out the real cause or develop a different way of going about it.
          Glen
          Although the main point of this thread is the V9, let's have a moment with those venerable 60's Ampeg combos and their built in ground loop.

One problem is that there's a ground wire run from power supply to the circuit board, jumpered there several times to meet various circuits, then it lands at input jacks. That's a loop that needs to be broken. Often I find the simple solution is to eliminate one ground link at the point where power amp meets drive circuit. Remove one loop of black insulated wire there and now preamp grounds are at input jacks, power amp grounds at the power supply, and hum is brought to acceptable level.

Tedious experimentation in the early 90's led me to this solution. Once I found it, said to myself "hey dummy that should be obvious!" Much easier than adding insulating washers at input jacks.

There's a 66 Reverberocket on the workbench right now for an overhaul. Doubtless after other troubleshooting it will get de-hummed by snipping out a jumper wire. I'm looking forward to it.
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post

Although the main point of this thread is the V9, let's have a moment with those venerable 60's Ampeg combos and their built in ground loop.

One problem is that there's a ground wire run from power supply to the circuit board, jumpered there several times to meet various circuits, then it lands at input jacks. That's a loop that needs to be broken. Often I find the simple solution is to eliminate one ground link at the point where power amp meets drive circuit. Remove one loop of black insulated wire there and now preamp grounds are at input jacks, power amp grounds at the power supply, and hum is brought to acceptable level.

Tedious experimentation in the early 90's led me to this solution. Once I found it, said to myself "hey dummy that should be obvious!" Much easier than adding insulating washers at input jacks.

There's a 66 Reverberocket on the workbench right now for an overhaul. Doubtless after other troubleshooting it will get de-hummed by snipping out a jumper wire. I'm looking forward to it.
            Hello leo_Gnardo (I'm not comfortable in here!)
            thanx Leo_Gnardo. As mentioned above, I watched one tech online hack up the chassis by widening the input jack mounting holes in order to remove the chassis ground from the input jacks. I'm fairly certain given my experience & your entry that he needed to do what you & I touched on abt figuring out where the loop could be broken. I think I pretty much hit that point with this quote from my own entry above:
            'Ampeg's original method of preventing ground loops. Seems they did that as it was the easier method of dealing with ground loops. I've had issues with even this method in some of their combos of the same era where a previous tech replaced the filter cap, but did not use the phenolic wafer to isolate the can ground from the chassis. I generally had to split the black ground wire and ground the preamp at the input jack & the cap-can at a star ground at the cap-can. Interesting that Ampeg didn't think to do it that way.'
            Thanx, Glen

Comment

Working...
            X