Metallica drum sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallica drum sound

How can one replicate the drum sound of Metallicas "Enter Sandman"?
    Specifically the snare and kick drum, how could i even get close using compression, reverb, gating and eq?
    Thanks in advance.

It's really easy, just be an awesome drummer, make a huge amount of money, buy the best Ludwig drums and an army of bikini-clad hotties to tune them, hire a big studio in LA, and get Bob Rock to master it. Spend the rest of the money on drink, coke and high-class hookers, rinse and repeat.

For the rest of us, just tape a credit card to the kick drum skin where the beater hits it, compress crap out of it, and hope for the best. Oh, and use Google:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...drum+recording
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

If this helps:

I know the drum track was recorded with a room mic in front of a wall. Drums facing the wall about 20 feet away. This was mainly responisible for the snare sound. So I guess just mic the drums and try messin with the room mic. Compress it, EQ it, wutever. It's obviously heavy in the mix. That's what that crazy open snare sound is tho.

It was also spliced from like 20 different takes for the most "energetic" performance.` You could try that. It's magic, according to engineers and producers, paid to tape the guys tracking all month.

There's enough about this drum track out there, that even I know, offhand how it was recorded. You really could just google "enter sandman drum track" and find something.

If you want to get the tuning just right this is what I do: If you have a cheap synthesizer, or keyboard wutever. On the bass setting just listen to the track and concentrate on the tom/snare drum/wutver you want. Then find what note it sounds most like. Tune your tom to that note.
      Last edited by nopainkiller; 11-17-2008, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X