Need Low-Cut Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Low-Cut Filter

So I've got this really nice sounding overdrive box I've built. Problem is when bending the "B" string up to match the "E" string note - (you know the index finger on the E and the third finger three frets up and bending the B) the really low overtones are just killing the sound.
    If I just reduce the bass response, I don't have full frequency response. I need to filter the frequencies from say, 30HZ on down OUT of there.
    I've tried the Mackie low cut filter used on my M2600 (copied from the schematic) with very marginal success.
    TOOB amps don't have this problem! WHY!

Ok, right now I'm thinking use a cap and an inductor. The cap in series followed by the inductor in parallel, like a crossover circuit for a tweeter. The cap blocks the low frequecies and the inductor conducts at low frequencies. Got to try it. Anybody that's interested in this sordid subject hang in there. I've got the parts to try this.

Comment

Ok I guess never mind. I used 1.47uf worth of capacitance and 1500mhy of inductance. Both having close to 1k resistance at 100hz. Put them in series across the input and tapped off the inductor thinking the bass would roll off more than it did
      I guess nobady else has a problem with ultra low harmonics, and I don't know how to delete the post, so this will have to do.

Comment

Google "rumble filter".

Tube amps usually don't have mega high gain. Modern ones that do, use the simple trick of filtering bass out before the overdriven stages, then applying bass boost after them to compensate it. The compensation means that a steep filter isn't needed.

This is the same as what happens when you plug a Tube Screamer into a Fender tube amp: the TS has a low-cut filter (only 1st order) in it before its clipping stage to get rid of those overtones (undertones?!) and the Fender tone stack applies quite a healthy bass boost unless the bass knob is turned to 0.

The passive LC filter won't work connected straight to the guitar, because its 1k characteristic impedance is too low, the output impedance of your guitar will swamp it.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by booj View Post
          So I've got this really nice sounding overdrive box I've built. Problem is when bending the "B" string up to match the "E" string note - (you know the index finger on the E and the third finger three frets up and bending the B) the really low overtones are just killing the sound.
          If I just reduce the bass response, I don't have full frequency response. I need to filter the frequencies from say, 30HZ on down OUT of there.
          I've tried the Mackie low cut filter used on my M2600 (copied from the schematic) with very marginal success.
          TOOB amps don't have this problem! WHY!
          You could if you have room add a high Q high pass filter(Q of 10 or so will suffice)

Comment

Working...
          X