Help Needed with an Oberheim Matrix 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed with an Oberheim Matrix 1000

Ok, Oberheim Users. I need some assistance.

Yesterday I was using my Matrix 1000 in a midi chain with no issues. It was obtaining and passing midi, as well as generating sound.

Today, however, I'm having issues. The system still obtains/passes midi but does NOT generate a sound.

For example, the module sits 4th out of 6th in a chain. The all items up and downstream of the Matrix receive midi and generate sound, but the matrix seems to be the only thing not property functioning.

I've removed the Matrix 1000 and interfaced directly with the until via midi - again, receives the signal but does not generate sound.

Does anyone have suggestions and tips on how to address this problem?

Thanks for the help.
    V

I don;t remember the Matrix 1000 specifically, and I don;t feel like digging my Oberheim documentation out of wherever I have stashed it. (Don't see them much anymore.) But a couple things come to mind. (Aha, the 1000 is basically a MAtrix 6 without the keys.)

That it worked yesterday and not today doesn;t tell us much. Everything works until it doesn;t.

First, the thing might be working fine but mis-configured. Can local be turned off on that? If so, turn local back on.

(Oh wait, I just found a picture. This is a sound module, not a full kybd. SO forget local, there are no keys.)

Next, it may be receiving MIDI - I assume some LED flashes? - but you may not be on the same receiving channel as the MIDI is being transmitted on. Set the receive to omni or at least verify you are transmitting to the channel set to receive. It will receive signal on any channel, but will only respond to that which it is selected for. Through MIDI doesn;t separate out channels, it passes everything.

After that, if the thing receives on channel and still makes no sounds, then I wonder if you are missing the analog voltages. The MIDI and control stuff will work on just the 5v supply. But the analog stuff - sounds - needs the +/-15v supplies (or maybe 12v, I forget) One or both of those go missing, and no sound. Look first for open fuses, then start checking out power supplies and regulators. Very basic stuff so far.

DOn;t recall if there is output muting on that unit. That means small transistors to kill the output for a moment at powr up to prevent loud noises. If those are stuck on or defective, no sound.

Is ther ANY sound at all? ANy background hiss or something?

If the audio outs are served by the same chip, you could have a bad IC.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hey!

Thanks for the reply. A few things..

"That it worked yesterday and not today doesn;t tell us much. Everything works until it doesn;t."

Very true, didn't tell me much either. Was just going to say that the configuration - be it incorrect or otherwise - did work yesterday.

Next, it may be receiving MIDI - I assume some LED flashes?

Correct, getting an LED response.

I'll put the unit on to omni tomorrow to see if I'm missing something but the Matrix 1000 was set to the corresponding sequencer channel, no luck. Also did a controller keyboard to the module (removed the seq from the loop) and set the channels to the same with no luck. Signal received, no sound.

Look first for open fuses, then start checking out power supplies and regulators.

I'll change the power cord, but there is no easy way to change the fuse from what I can tell. I haven't opened the unit up. And, no, there is zero sound coming from the unit. There may be a slight hiss, but I suspect that to be from the mixer, not the unit.

Also important to point out, I reset the factory defaults after my original post, and I've had no luck with that either.

I'll try the additional suggestions tomorrow and report back. Thus far, I've been on the same path you've mentioned... I fear it's a dead unit.

Thanks!

Comment

The power cord is fine, after all the thing lights up and receives MIDI. Fuses would be inside along with all the rest of the circuitry.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

On your previous post, when you said:

" But the analog stuff - sounds - needs the +/-15v supplies (or maybe 12v, I forget) One or both of those go missing, and no sound."

I didn't know if the until was getting full charge.

For example, I have a Roland TD-6. If the correct power adapter is not used, the until will light up/signal midi but will not produce sound. So, I thought it wouldn't hurt to try.

Anyway, thanks again. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

Comment

Oh I see.

Does this use a power adaptor? if so it really is important that it be the right type. I would expect AC volts of some amount.

If yours uses a plain old AC cord that plugs into the wall, then that is OK.

personally I never use the term "power cord" for adaptors, but some people do. When you mentioned power cord, I assumed it was the plain old cord type, NOT an adaptor.

If some unit needs 12-15v of AC power and they instead use a DC adaptor, then it is possible for the computer part to work without the sound part working.

Comment

Working...
            X