No announcement yet.

47k/.05uF Rk/Ck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are having trouble finding .05uf/600v? Nowdays they generally will be marked .047uf.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

There's a Fry's here in Indy, and they actually had both .047 and .05 in 630V mylar, but only 3 of the .047 and 4 of the .05. I opted to keep the same value, so in a couple of weeks I'll go back and see if they've restocked.

I think it was the 150u that got me back on track, though. The channel imbalance isn't there for the radio, so I think the rest of the coupling caps are OK. Just something in the input/selector circuit.

Thanks!

Comment

You might measure them and find they all are about the same. And remember that if they are not doing the same job, matching them is pointless. In other words you might want both side coupling caps on a phase inverter to be the same, but the coupler from stage 1 to stage 2 need not match the coupler from stage 2 to stage 3 for anything.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

All true; but this is a stereo, so I do want to match stage 1 -> 2 of side A with stage 1 -> 2 of side B even if all I really get is the feeling that I tried to match so remaining differences between A and B must not the replacements but something yet to be discovered.

If there had been 4 of the .047u and 3 of the .05u, I'd have gone the that way - or 8 of a .056u of appropriate voltage.

Thanks again, Enzo. I'm really glad to have you around.

Comment

WHich is why I suggested measuring them. .047 and .05 are the same part using either 3 or 2 significant digits to describe. Both are within 10% of the other, and could all measure out at the same value. A .047 that checks as .049 and a .05 that checks at .049 are both well within specs and would be the same in a circuit.

If your channels offer different sounds, then there are a whole lot of parts to consider. Any resistor could have drifted significantly. Certainly tubes would have to be in the same ballpark as each other. And of course caps vary.

Comment

Working...
            X