No announcement yet.

Learning Aid - resistors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this "shoes" you speak of? I make a technician's wage.

A lot of times you find the little inline connectors within a product - you know, 6 or 8 wires in a rowe. MAny of them have the one on the end one color, and the rest all a different color. Like the end one is black, and the rest white or gray. The odd one indicated pin 1. But some companies use the color code. so the wires across your connector would be brown-red-orange-yellow, etc. Find one of those cables in some piece of junk and tack it to the wall in front of you. Visual reminder.

One thing helped me learn was the number sequence. There are standard values of resistors. The numbers are in a series of 10, 15, 22, 33, 47, 68, 100. That is the 20% series. 20% parts were the most common when I was growing up, and you find them in old fenders. SO for example 10k, 15k, 22k, etc. There was no point in values between those since the tolerance ranges overlapped as it was.

SO when learning, there were certain combinations. Other than the 1 in 10 and 15, the colors didn;t repeat. blue and gray went together as 68. You were not going to find 64 or 58. SO yellow-purple was a common pair and orange-orange. ANd so on. To me this was easier than just learning them as individual numbers. I knew yellow-purple was 47, which made 4 and 7 individually that much easier to recall.

10% sequence added a few:
    10, 12, 15, 18, 22, 27, 33, 39, 47, 56, 68, 82, 100. The tighter tolerance ranges needed numbers between the others.

5%, well, by now, you pretty much just need to know all your numbers.
    10, 11, 12, 13 ,15, 16, 18, 20, and so on.

But even in this day of 1% parts all over, we still tend to use the old common values. Yes, I do see such things as 243k plate resistors in a preamp circuit, but mostly I still see 220k or 100k. SO even using 5% parts, most designs still reach for the 1.5k cathode resistor rather than the equally valid 1.3k or 1.6k. SO most parts you see will still have the common color pairs.

I gotta say, it MAY not be a deal breaker, but when I hire a tech, count on the first test question I ask being some color codes. This color code bit of knowledge is so basic, universal, and all over, that I expect a man to know it. If you are plpanning to get yourself hired in electronics, do yourself a favor and take the time and make the effort to make it second nature. I tend to think when assessing an individual, that if he doesn;t know the colors, chances are his experience is limited.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      What is this "shoes" you speak of? I make a technician's wage.
      Well, ONE pair of shoes anyway! The others are sneakers, which for me, are EVERYDAY shoes!

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      I gotta say, it MAY not be a deal breaker, but when I hire a tech, count on the first test question I ask being some color codes. This color code bit of knowledge is so basic, universal, and all over, that I expect a man to know it. If you are plpanning to get yourself hired in electronics, do yourself a favor and take the time and make the effort to make it second nature. I tend to think when assessing an individual, that if he doesn;t know the colors, chances are his experience is limited.
      And after that, ask him/her to read a numerically-coded capacitor. You'll have them talking to themselves!
      John R. Frondelli
      dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

This has been a big help

Comment

Four stripe code

A friend of mine just bought a pedal kit and found he was missing a 150K resistor. He described it to me as brown, green, black, orange. Threw me for a loop. I guess everything I see on my bench is "old school".

Comment

I skipped over so many simple things that to this day I don't have the resistor codes memorized. I still use my radio shack 3 wheeled resistor decoder ring! But i find it funny that for some reason the Yellow Purple 47 is the easiest one to remember? The colors are starting to sink in now that my hobby has become my full time job as I have been laid off again. and as i go along i find that the colors are just sort of getting memorized as i go.

I like that Link you posted Enzo, that's a nice calculator. I wish it could be downloaded.

Zc

Comment

R code

That why I keep bringing it back to the top of forum I can't download it.I forgot where it was,D-assBob

Comment

This has been my go to guide for code calculators. http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/ It's installed on my laptop and my desktop, and I take the laptop to the work bench. Tube Data Sheet Locator is great for looking up specs, tube sheets, etc.

Comment

I know what colors correspond to what numbers, but the thing I am missing is the color conversion chart for 40-60 year old resistors where what may have been violet or brown in decades past now are different shades of grey. Either the colors fade, or every resistor in my wah pedal is 880 Mohms!

Comment

Originally posted by m-fine View Post
                    I know what colors correspond to what numbers, but the thing I am missing is the color conversion chart for 40-60 year old resistors where what may have been violet or brown in decades past now are different shades of grey. Either the colors fade, or every resistor in my wah pedal is 880 Mohms!
                    Then it's time to hit them with a multi-meter. And that's fun when there are 900 resistors... Blech!

Comment

Originally posted by madkatb View Post
                      A friend of mine just bought a pedal kit and found he was missing a 150K resistor. He described it to me as brown, green, black, orange. Threw me for a loop. I guess everything I see on my bench is "old school".
                      It's a precision metal film resistor, which usually employ a five-band code. In that case it's:

- First digit, second digit, third digit, number of zeros, tolerance (the 5th band should be there). For example, while you COULD express 150K with a traditional four-band code, you couldn't express 155K. Anything requiring more precision usually has silk-screened numbers.
                      John R. Frondelli
                      dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

I just remember what a rainbow looks like, that is where this all comes from. I also recomend useing an ohm meter (always). Parts can be bad straight from the manufacturer.

Comment

^Same here. Black - Brown - ROYGBV - Gray - White. And after a while, you just kinda get used to seeing the same values and you start to remember what is what. The only thing that kills me are multipliers on 5 band resistors. Those I still haven't internalized.
                          -Mike

Comment

Don't think of them as multipliers - regardless of the number of bands. Instead of multipliers, think of it as "number of zeros." So, red-red-yellow-orange would be 2243 or 224 000 = 224k. A plain old 220k was red red yellow in three band = 2-2-4 = 22-0000. In four band it becomes red red black orange, or 2-2-0-000. Same thing.

Example: orange means 3, or it means x1000. But x1000 is the same thing as adding three zeros to a number.
                            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                            X