Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stutter and glitch percussion -

Hi,

Im into experimental electronica and light breaks....

THe kind of artists that inspire me are Violet Vision,PAul Ressel,Habersham,Jviewz,Shpongle and aphex twin.

I really just dont know where to start in understanding and reproducing the percussion.

I understand the basic stutter glitch theory over a mix but to also get this effect in the percussion and the programming....i just cant pick it up from listening.

Anyone know where to find a tutorial or some insight...

thanks

A good place to start would be to get the Amen break, chop it up into hundreds of tiny segments, and load it into an old-fashioned tracker such as Octamed or the like. These naturally do everything on a grid that can be 32nd notes, 64th notes, or whatever. There may be a sample offset function that saves you from having to actually make hundreds of copies of the break.

Then spend days and days arranging it all. You can't really pick it up from listening, it's too fast and complicated. It literally can take a day to produce 5 seconds of this stuff. You can still do it with a modern sequencer, but it's even slower than the old trackers.

The lazy man's version is to stick it through the Beat Repeat effect in Ableton, but real music geeks will know the difference.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

ok

Thanks for the info...

If you have anything else to share i would be much appreciative.

thanks again

Comment

Working...
      X