Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Capacitors.. which ones for which applications?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use this ERO 1,5 KV cap in my conjuctive filter for a 2 x el84 amp. Works fine

[IMG][/IMG]

This amp was put together in an experimental way so turn a blind eye to the way it's been built !

It works great however.

Comment

Phase shift

Well I do remember there's a simple way to calculate phase shift... unfortunately I learned it back in electronics school and forget just what the formula to figure that out is. The long & short of it is voltage will always lead current through an inductor & the opposite, current will always lead voltage through a capacitor. If memory serves me (it doesn't always... closing in on 50 & the brain isn't as quick as it used to be) if you know your voltage, current & resistance of the inductor/capacitor in that part of the circuit you simply need to plot the point on a graph than determine the vector angle which will tell you how far out of phase. I'll have to check back on this thread cause now you have me wondering... tho not enough to dig out my old school books (lol.)
      Hey you... Yeah you kid... Ya wanna buy some "Magic Beans"?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
        The thing about replacing a batch of caps all at one time is that you don't really know why the sound changed. It's not a controlled experiment.
        I agree. However, you are assuming that I replaced a batch of caps all at once without listening tests--an assumption that's incorrect. I did it gradually precisely for the reason you mention

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodesplyr View Post
          I agree. However, you are assuming that I replaced a batch of caps all at once without listening tests--an assumption that's incorrect. I did it gradually precisely for the reason you mention
          Good job

Comment

Working...
          X