Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new user here.....

and thought i'd post something.

not new to the net, just could not think of a thought provoking user name, so "User Name" got picked. my real name is Bill.

i've been in the electronics tech scene for a while, but am new to the music side of it. specifically, guitars, amps, and pedals.

that started because of my oldest boy getting into guitar playing. i have been wanting to learn for a long time now, but never really had the dedication.

so, to make a long story short, here i am.

will post later about the ampeg vt-40 i got this weekend for a cool 75 bucks!

bill

Howdy Bill!
    I too am new!
    Sounds like a song lyric...
    Anyway, I have been playing tube amps for 15 years or so, but have never even changed a tube until the other day...Always just paid someone to do it for me.
    Now I am interested in doing it for myself.
    Please read my last post about my Vibro Champ and see if you have any advice for me!
    Jory Lee
    Martini Shakers on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Comment

Hi guys, welcome to the forum.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by MartiniShakers View Post
        Howdy Bill!
        I too am new!
        Sounds like a song lyric...
        Anyway, I have been playing tube amps for 15 years or so, but have never even changed a tube until the other day...Always just paid someone to do it for me.
        Now I am interested in doing it for myself.
        Please read my last post about my Vibro Champ and see if you have any advice for me!
        Jory Lee
        Martini Shakers on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
        hey jory,

good to see your interest in the diy scene.

i have been in electronics since '90 and have built a lot and have repaired a lot of circuits and i sometimes think i may know as much as some people on this site as well as others have probably forgotten.

my expertise is in repair and not so much design, so in regards to theory and formulas, i pretty much know where to find and use the info, i just don't have it memorized. i am sure there are many here as well as on other sites that would be happy to help.

one of the biggest things that i can tell you is this:

electricity will kill.

in light of that, be very careful when looking around. i've been bitten more times than i can remember, which maybe why i can't remember....lol.

in any case, i can recommend a book that would be a good starting point. i am sure there are plenty of other books out there, that others can suggest.

"how to repair old-time radios" by "clayton l. hallmark"

outside the rf/if sections of a tube radio, the rest is basically the same as an amp, but in most cases, lower voltages.

anyways, that is about all i can suggest.

i will post this in that thread also.

Comment

Working...
        X