No announcement yet.

Special wall outlets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about the $100 IEC cables that make your amp sound better. I've had customers tell me that & it's hard to keep a straight face sometimes.
    Drewline

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

Comment

When I worked at a music store, I had some really nice 16ga zip for speakers. One of the piano salesman would come in every couple months and buy new lengths of the stuff. He told me it sounded really good after it was broken in. Apparently after a time it wore out or something, so he replaced it. We also later learned that between the amp and speakers, he had little supports to keep it up off the floor. He said something about speaker cord lying on the floor made it sound bad.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

..... and a little known fact. Black zip cord sounds way better than the brown stuff........I suppose unless you're looking for "the brown sound".
        "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
          ..... and a little known fact. Black zip cord sounds way better than the brown stuff........I suppose unless you're looking for "the brown sound".
          Ohh noes! Black insulation is BAD according to the snake oilers. And those cable lifters Enzo mentioned - wont' amount to a tiny hill of beans because 16 gauge speaker cable is so constricting to the electron flow it's ridiculous. Gotta have 8 gauge oxygen free large-crystal 5 nines pure copper at least. Then the cable lifters serve to keep the cable from denting your floorboards or leaving permanent tracks on your carpet. AC cable? $100 IEC extensions are crap, you gotta spend 1500-2000 apiece for proper audio. You'll hear so much better when your pockets are empty of cash.

Back in the day we didnt' even have coal, had to fight with dinosaurs in the swamp to get access to wood to fuel those old amps. What a relief when Ugg found "rock that burns" way back deep in the cave. It was that, or run 'em off steam direct from volcano vents, we're talking "pure power" maybe with a little sulfur fume for good measure. Lucky those who had it right in their neighborhood. That was before the ice age when kids had to walk 6 miles uphill both ways thru a blizzard to get to school then back home. Driving to gigs was tough with our legs sticking out the bottom of the car to push it along. Still got the car, parts are getting hard to find.
          Attached Files
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I had seen an add from some site somewhere....some dude designing mastering equipment was selling the power cords for over $1000.00 each...specially made of course......claimed that it made the audio sound impeckable......as far as the zip cord goes...I think it is the best speaker wire you can get for the money....lasts a lifetime....wish I could find an audio salesman to sell it to....just put some gold plated connectors on it and viola.....money to be made here.....

Comment

I guess if your buying $1,000,000 pr. speakers, who cares if the installer charges you $150 for the outlets.... Cessaro :: Omega I
              Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

I recall a couple years ago Stan km6xz mentioned some rootin tootin' record producer who wanted to use Studio Stan BUT only if Stan bought producer-recommended $5000 speaker cable. Needless to say said producer was rejected and rightfully so. Can you say "kickback?"

I wonder where that producer wound up taking his project, and if they bought his magic cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
                  I recall a couple years ago Stan km6xz mentioned some rootin tootin' record producer who wanted to use Studio Stan BUT only if Stan bought producer-recommended $5000 speaker cable. Needless to say said producer was rejected and rightfully so. Can you say "kickback?"

I wonder where that producer wound up taking his project, and if they bought his magic cable.
                  That is not a kickback...that sounds like plain old robbery to me........

Comment

Originally posted by bsco View Post
                    That is not a kickback...that sounds like plain old robbery to me........
                    I took it that the producer had an "interest" in the $5000 cable company, would have received a sales commission. Whether that's the case or not, Stan saw thru the BS and kiboshed producer's offer. There's all sorts of crooks in this world. Some are honest enough to simply demand a kickback and leave dodgy cable deals out of the picture. Maybe that would fly at some third rate studio that's hurting for business. When your calendar is full and you have a history of turning out good recordings you don't need to buy into shady deals. Hooray for Stan!

Comment

Originally posted by bsco View Post
                      Hahahahahahahaaaaaaa..................
                      Well, I have never used coal powered amps but in my youth, in the middle of the Argentine Pampas endless wheat and corn fields, gaucho workers living there, no electricity (or some 32V battery powered lights, fed from a windmill generator), used kerosene powered fridges.
                      Does it count?
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Just by chance, this is the first review I clicked on .......

★★★★★
                        3 out of 5 stars.
                        · 5 years ago
                        The Emperor has new clothes?

I had the chance to work with these again so I thought I'd review them.

I give this product 5 out of 5 for Performance and Features, however, Value is another story. I design and build power supplies and most of what I build is completely isolated, meaning it can take a lightening strike without transmitting noise.

This product is silly because it's like taking a dump in your water supply, then drinking from it and wondering why it

tastes funny. A gold plated plug at the end of the line isn't going to change the problems with the source.

If you really want to make a difference in your power line, I'll sell you gold plated fittings for the all the parts from the transformer on the hydro pole to special magical breakers in your panel box. Maybe we can even convince the power company to put gold plated connectors on their generators?

This is just a fancy product for people with more money then brains.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zquNjKjsfw
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiE-DBtWC5I
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=472E...0OYTnWIkoj8Sna

Comment

Just by chance, this is the first review I clicked on .......

★★★★★
                          3 out of 5 stars.
                          · 5 years ago
                          The Emperor has new clothes?

I had the chance to work with these again so I thought I'd review them.

I give this product 5 out of 5 for Performance and Features, however, Value is another story. I design and build power supplies and most of what I build is completely isolated, meaning it can take a lightening strike without transmitting noise.

This product is silly because it's like taking a dump in your water supply, then drinking from it and wondering why it

tastes funny. A gold plated plug at the end of the line isn't going to change the problems with the source.

If you really want to make a difference in your power line, I'll sell you gold plated fittings for the all the parts from the transformer on the hydro pole to special magical breakers in your panel box. Maybe we can even convince the power company to put gold plated connectors on their generators?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zquNjKjsfw
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiE-DBtWC5I
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=472E...0OYTnWIkoj8Sna

Comment

Originally posted by trem View Post
                            A gold plated plug at the end of the line isn't going to change the problems with the source.
                            Deafinitely true.

And so is this.

Our hi fi friends over at Audio Asylum have a Cable discussion column. Right at the top "Cable Asylum is a DBT free zone." DBT = double blind testing. Granted there is some good discussion and advice to be found there but freshly clothed emperors and their tailors are also allowed run free with goofy claims and arguments. And nobody is allowed to bother them with (horrors!) actual scientific testing. I think the Bored (chief moderators) at AA keep it that way for amusement. Here's a link so you won't have to search:

Cable Asylum

Comment

Working...
                            X