Peavey DPC-1400 a lemon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey DPC-1400 a lemon?

Whats up with these older class D amps? I have heard good things; 1u and 1400w and $1400 original list price. Bass players liked it and a PV Service Tech (Chad Wahls) says they failed because of "tolerances slipping in the filter network in the ass end" ?

He implies they are fixable, and if so I am looking at a Clist one for $50, I know they are PACKED and thus difficult to fix; any experience? Buy one of these instead?

4*100 watt @ 4ohm, TK2050 D-class Audio Amplifier Board - eBay (item 230434254983 end time Feb-10-10 04:54:23 PST)

Sure Electronics TP2050 Tripath 4x100w
    Last edited by tedmich; 02-07-2010, 09:00 PM.

I remember a lot of bass players liked the Peavey Kilobass, which as far as I know was the guts of a DPC with a bass preamp tacked on. Anything is fixable, but these things need the same troubleshooting skills as switchmode power supplies. If you've never worked on switchers before, you have a learning experience coming.

I'd say buy it if you're feeling brave or bored, and don't forget to invest in a pair of safety goggles :-) If the worst comes to the worst, you could gut it and reuse the case, you can hardly buy a 1U rack chassis for $50 now.

The best class-D modules I know of nowadays are by Hypex.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
      I remember a lot of bass players liked the Peavey Kilobass, which as far as I know was the guts of a DPC with a bass preamp tacked on. Anything is fixable, but these things need the same troubleshooting skills as switchmode power supplies. If you've never worked on switchers before, you have a learning experience coming.

I'd say buy it if you're feeling brave or bored, and don't forget to invest in a pair of safety goggles :-) If the worst comes to the worst, you could gut it and reuse the case, you can hardly buy a 1U rack chassis for $50 now.

The best class-D modules I know of nowadays are by Hypex.
      Thanks Steve!

Yeah that Bruno dude seems pretty happy at Hypex after leaving Philips, some people like these D class amps:NewClassD Front Page

odd how they use linear PS on them, but the onboard Atmel MC is kind of cool:
      NewClassD Amplifier Modules
      funny how the Dboyz all tout their low THD but only at 1w output, see how the 50% output (100w) graph stops at 10kHz and is approaching the audiophile scarlet number (0.1% THD) which it undoubtedly goes higher than from 10kHz-20kHz from 100-200 w RMS.

As far as I can tell EVERYONE is using the Philips UcD chips, which they are allowed to do royalty free, the sureelectronics amp modules are quite well reviewed and at $0.14/w they are a dirt cheap way to try a class D. I'm going to go with a Vicor front end DC/DC PS (regulated if needed) and try for a <5lb 400w amp!

PS the 300VDC frontend can power a tube pre too!
      Last edited by tedmich; 02-08-2010, 04:49 PM.

Comment

If you want to fix up the PV, consider sending it to the factory. Their bench rates are not elevated, and possibly even lower than your locals.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X