Opamp replacement in power amp section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opamp replacement in power amp section

I have a solid state amp with a NE5532P opamp in the power amp section. I have some other opamps laying around and was thinking about experimenting switching it out for something else. Will any dual opamp work for this? I have two specifically i was thinking about changing it to, a Brown Burr OPA2134 and a OPA2604AP.

As far as I know, all the 8-leg dual op amps have the same pinout, so you can swap away. I don;t know the particular ones you mention.

I would say that the 5532 is an old school low noise op amp and it works pretty darn well. COnsidering that a power amp is a whole circuit, and not just support parts for the op amp, I am not sure what improvements you expect. But try it and report back.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

My worry would be that the op-amp might be inside the power amp's feedback loop, and maybe they tweaked it so it was stable with the NE5532. Other op-amps have different GBW, phase shifts and so on.

So I'd say if you want to change op-amps, change any other one but that!
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I have not seen an amp that uses an Op-amp in it that is tweaked so tightly that a drop in type opamp change would be an issue. I would try an LM4562 opamp which seems to be a favorite. We did an experiment on a prototype car stereo product we were developing and we swapped in many different types of op-amps for this buffer type device. while in the lab (read living room) there were subtle changes we could hear. when in a car....pfft, not a chance you could tell a difference between any of the op-amps we tried! So I guess, whatever it is you expect to gain. may be largely dependent on the speakers/system/room/environment etc the amp will be used in.

and honestly. I know of no high end audiophile type, or even mid fi type amps that use op-amps for anything in the actual audio path. so if your considering a power amp that has an op-amp in it for any sort of audiophile or critical listening...well I say go for it for fun, but dont expect any sort of sudden audiophile magic to happen.

No matter how much "bling" you put on a mack truck, it will just never be a ferrari!

Comment

Well, remember, you are in guitar amp land over here, for the most part.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yeah, I've seen a few musical instrument and PA amps that use a NE5532 or NE5534 as the first stage of the power amp. Most recent one I noticed was the Mackie SWA1501 powered sub.

I also once built a copy of the Alexander current-feedback hi-fi amp. This uses a high-performance op-amp as the first stage. The NFB gets shoved back into its output, and it drives the rest of the amp through its supply pins!

http://scopeboy.com/original.gif

And from my electronics experience I know that circuits like that can be touchy. The SSM2131 op-amp specified for the Alexander circuit is now discontinued, and I don't have the guts to try modifying it for a different one. I'd bet that if you swapped in a NE5534 there would be smoke.

I've never seen a circuit quite so perverse in any MI or PA product, but I'd still be a little worried.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Well, it wouldn't hurt to know what circuit the OP was talking about, but I have never found the MArshall circuit 8080/8100 to be all that touchy, and the ubiquitous PV 400BH uses one corner of a TL074, but that circuit too, seems pretty stable.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X