Your reviews wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your reviews wanted

Please review these pedals... I think the Reverb is the best I've ever ran across. what say you?

TONE CANDY

ToneCandy Effects Pedals

You want free reviews? Send us some free pedals.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yep...looks nice. There's my review. What else can I say? I don't have one.

Brad1

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        You want free reviews? Send us some free pedals.
        Every one wants free stuff

Just wanted your input on these. I don't sell these thing...

I needed a reverb for my 5E3. And the tone candy reverb was it for me...

Best

Ron

Comment

I find it interesting that a lot of ads use the terms that were in this web page, something like "hand made in the USA out of quality parts". Not to pick on this one web page - there are zillions which use this same phrase or the equivalent. It just hits one of my buttons.

Hand made - the crux of the issue is whose hands made it, and how skilled and unhurried were they?

Skilled hands, unhurried and with proper time, materials, lighting etc. can produce artistic masterpieces. And as a side effect, each resulting unit will be different. Consistency is often missing in "hand made" articles, but the advertising doesn't say things like "of course, what you actually get may be different from the ones we show in the pictures and provide clips of because they're all different".

Unskilled hands with little time, poor tools, bad lighting, etc. can produce work that is shoddy as well as extremely variable. The devil is very much in the details. And while "hand made" carries the suggested image of a middle-aged craftsman working with hand-tools-only at a bench in a quiet workroom, in advertising speech it has come to mean "we didn't fully automate this process and some step was done by a real person."

What it usually means in reality is "a real human stuffed the parts into the PCB and then soldered the parts and the hookup wires." That's fine, that's what the electronics industry does for all small quantities (under 500-1000 units per run)

Those "quality parts"? By and large, not made in the USA. But that doesn't get mentioned much.

There's a great book on advertising speech as separate from normal language. It's quite old. Title is "Doublespeak". Interesting stuff. Advertising speech is regulated by truth in advertising laws, and like many laws, it has some unintended consequences. Did you ever wonder why ever product on the shelves says it's the best whatever?

Truth in advertising law recognizes a thing called a parity class. A parity class is a group of things that, by and large, all do about the same thing, with only trivial differences. Toothpaste, for example, is a parity class. All toothpastes pretty much clean your teeth when properly used, have some flavoring, and possibly some anti-cavity fluorides. Differences are tiny, if measurable. So since they're pretty much all alike, advertising law says that logically, they can all be the best. They're also all the worst, but that doesn't read well in advertising so it doesn't get mentioned.

If you say your product is "better" then that implies that they're not all the same, so you may well have to prove "better" in court. So better has to be provably better than the others, and really means what "best" means in normal speech. "Best" means "just like all the rest" where parity classes are involved.

This is just a tiny intro to the twisted world of what gets said in advertising.
          Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Or like the old slogan went in the food packaging industry:

Untouched by human hands!
            and in the small print... *Packed by monkeys
            I worked for several hi-tech startup companies during the telecoms boom, making handbuilt prototypes of things, and I'd take robot assembled over handmade any day. Most of my troubleshooting time was finding components that the monkeys had put in backwards, sideways, you name it.

Now I work for a bigger company that can AFFORD to have its boards assembled on an automated pick and place line, and the yield is up.

Still looking for 12AX7s on a reel of 1000
            Last edited by Steve Conner; 03-04-2010, 02:42 PM.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
              I worked for several hi-tech startup companies during the telecoms boom, making handbuilt prototypes of things, and I'd take robot assembled over handmade any day. Most of my troubleshooting time was finding components that the monkeys had put in backwards, sideways, you name it.

Now I work for a bigger company that can AFFORD to have its boards assembled on an automated pick and place line, and the yield is up.

Still looking for 12AX7s on a reel of 1000
              I repair a lot of SWR bass amp's most of which were hand built or at least hand wired. and its really interesting to see the quality good or bad of whatever person that day built the thing! What happened to the quality of handbuilt from the 50's? ever looked inside a Hickok tube tester? I mean the quality of there hand built stuff is amazing! even fender guitar amps, Ampeg bass amps were built well.

I love the idea of a reel of 12AX7's. someone needs to mock that up for giggles!

Comment

And how about that 12AX7 pick and place machine? I wanna watch it slam a row of them in a Fender Twin in 0.6 seconds as it flies by.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                X