Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical (Mechanical) Wiring Question

Hi,

A guy over at TalkBass suggested I ask this question here.

My current bass set-up is a SansAmp RBI into a Stewart World 1.2.

Cabs:
    1. One TL-606 with a single EV 15 inch 8 ohm and a 1/4 phone input.
    2. One Peavey 215 with 2 BW 1502-8 and a 1/4 phone input; the 8 ohm speakers are wired in parallel for a cab impedance of 4 ohms.

I intend to run either one or the other at present, not both (That would be another thread).

The outputs from the Stewart power amp are either 1/4 or dual banana. Currently, I'm using the amp in bridge mode with the dual banana jack. My speaker cable is then dual banana to 1/4 phone plug.

I would like to have a versatile set-up with Speakons and 1/4 phone jacks on the cabs, so that if a cable fails, I can use, or quickly adapt, available cables. I would do this by installing dual Speakons on each cab, to be in parallel with the existing 1/4 jacks. If I ever wanted to parallel a cab with another, I could just plug in (providing the total impedance was correct for the amp).

Question: Since Speakon panel jacks have room for only one wire on each terminal, or have a 0.25 male flag terminal, what is a good method to parallel the two Speakon jacks in each cab, never mind connect the cab speakers?

My instinct is to get the Speakon jacks with the 0.25 flags and solder on to them with all necessary wires. The other idea I had was to run single wires to a splice connector block, and from there to the other jack and the speakers, but I think this method has way more chances for failure.

Any suggestions? I've searched in this Forum, and there's nothing about the actual mechanical hook-up.

Thanks,

Radio

I always solder wires to the 1/4" tabs on Speakons.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
      I always solder wires to the 1/4" tabs on Speakons.
      Thanks, that what I think, too. Just checking to see of anyone had any newer ideas. I hate mechanical joints, except in grounding or RF systems.

Steve

Comment

Working...
      X