decent near field monitors cheap(?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• decent near field monitors cheap(?)

I picked up some cheap Tascam VL-A4 active monitors from MF in their (new?) used gear section. They were listed as "salvage/needs repair" but the photos showed two smashed tweeters which I figured were a simple fix, price was under $100 delivered for 4 so wtf..

The tweeters were trashed but on one the dome and VC were intact while on the other the dome was punctured, so I was able to rebuild one functional tweeter out of 2 bad ones...GREAT! as retrofitting a new tweet was looking complicated (0.8" dome/ 8 ohms, 3" flange, sensitivity?? ..ugh..)

But these monitors had other issues (natch) the output was zero on 2 of the 4. Turns out the volume pot is to blame, one of the functioning ones will cut in and out when I rock the knob. The dead one has a dual pot (4 conductor) with +20M resistance between all the contacts. Turns out Tascam reworked some; the AOK ones have a "D" shaped smooth shaft, the bad ones a round serrated shaft with white tape to give a snug knob fit.

Once I replace the pots I'll let you know if these guys are a good buy on the used and/or busted market.

Oh they sound VERY good!

its all the volume pot on this Tascam series; a new $3 BI Tech 25k audio taper cermet pot from mouser and they sound incredible.

The power supply has me baffled though; 120VAC goes to a board which puts out 0-22-120vac to feed a special transformer that makes 11-0-11VAC for the amp board... WTF??!

oh Teac sold me the replacement tweet too

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post

The power supply has me baffled though; 120VAC goes to a board which puts out 0-22-120vac to feed a special transformer that makes 11-0-11VAC for the amp board... WTF??!
      isn't Japan 100vac for there power? I would bet that special transformer is a 100vac transformer and it is connected to the 22 and 120vac taps. thats just a guess of course.

Comment

Working...
      X