How do I wiring up 6 4ohm speakers to a 4 ohm amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I wiring up 6 4ohm speakers to a 4 ohm amp

I have a Standel Studio 60 with 6 4ohm speakers. They were not wired when I got the amp.

I can't see any way that gives the exact impedance. You could have two parallel strings of three series speakers for 6 ohms, or three strings of two speakers for 8/3 of an ohm, but not 4.

If it's a transistor amp I'd go for 6.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

so all + and - together

4+4+4= 12
      4+4+4= 12
      12string+12string=6

am I thinking right ?

By the way I went to Scottland in 1982 with my church group for 2 weeks.
      I love your country, wish I could go back. Driving a 16 person van with my group was very intresting to say the least

Comment

Not quite...

Each speaker has two terminals that should be labelled + and -. Take three speakers and connect the + of one to the - of the next.

Code:
        (- +)---(- +)---(- +)
        Repeat this for the other three speakers.

Code:
        (- +)---(- +)---(- +)

(- +)---(- +)---(- +)

and then connect the -'s and +'s you have left to the amp.
        Code:
        |-(- +)---(- +)---(- +)-|
        |                       |
        |-(- +)---(- +)---(- +)-|
        |                       |
        v                       v
             to amp
        The order doesn't matter, but the polarity does. You have to connect all the speakers the same way round, or it'll sound bad.

1982, wow, I was 4. Where in Scotland did you go?
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Standel / Sorry off subject a little.

We spend a week in Glenrothes on a bible school with 43 people. Then we had a week to travel. We broke off from the main group and 7 of us "an a driver,guide" when to St. Andrews, Edinburgh,Loch Ness. All those cool places. I ran across some Rogers folks too. Heard alot of tales, and met some of the most wonderfull people in my life.

thanks
          Jess Rogers
          jessadr@comcast.net

P.S. I have a 80watt 2 channel I am going to use with the Standel. The factory amp has problems. The preamp and effects work great, so I can run 3 speakers per side. I am going to mount it in the bottom of the cab. It is about 5 feet tall , got penty of room.

Comment

Steve, wouldn't you be closer if you series the speakers to get 3 sets of 8 ohm, and then parallel them together for slightly less than 3 ohm? Seems like I've seen a 6-10 cabinet wired that way.

Comment

Depends how you define closer. For an old solid-state amp, you want to err on the side of a higher impedance. Overloading some early transistor amp is like asking your grandma to help you shift that piano.

If it were a tube amp then the 2.7 ohm option might be safer.

Comment

Standel

I have the factory speakers and don't want to change them. The 3 speakers per side idea should work . 12 ohm per side on this amp should still be all the volume I need.

Comment

Thanks for the information, Steve.

Comment

Working...
                  X