X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• video examples of using different soldering iron tip shapes

was checking out tips for my 933, and saw this:

[HAKKO] : Select Tip Shape

what is cool is that there are videos ("movies")--short clips of various soldering iron tips being used. Solved a few mysteries for me since I wasn't sure how some were supposed to be used (to my embarrassment).

I keep four tip styles in stock for our Weller solder stations, from a fairly big chisel tip to a 1/64" point for SMD work. Tips aren't cheap and we have seven stations going, but if you use a tip that is too big or too small, you can either burn up the work, or ruin the tip prematurely. The same thing goes for DESOLDERING units.

Whatever you do, make sure you always have a tinning block and a wet sponge handy.

BTW- for you shop guys who keep a water bottle handy for your sponge, a little trick I came up with is to add about an ounce of isopropyl or denatured alcohol to your sponge water. It cleans the tip better, and also prevents your water bottle from becoming it's own algae-ridden ecosystem.
    John R. Frondelli
    dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

that's an interesting tip using the alcohol. Maybe it was my imagination, but soldering seemed to go a bit better after I cleaned the sponge with water after it had sat unused for a while (settled dust on the sponge had some effect??) so I usually wash it now before starting if it's been sitting for a time.

Comment

Working...
      X