Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Identification - Pyle?

Hello everyone:

I have a pair of 12" speakers that could be from "Pyle." Using the following site, I was able to find the speaker code and match to Pyle:

Speaker Codes, Amps, & More

Speaker Code: 1098501
    Part Number: 86-343-08

I'm trying to find a site/source that would give me more info on these speakers. I'm thinking they were made in 85, 95, or 2005? I guess they are 8 ohms? But is there anyway of knowing what kind of power they were designed to handle?

Any ideas for research would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Tom
    It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

I bet you are right, it was made by Pyle.

86-343-08 looks like an SLM part number to me, so it probably started life in a Crate amplifier. No idea which one. Crate speaker part numbe4rs start with 86, and the number format is the same.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Enzo... Yes, this speaker comes out of a Crate PA cabinet. So you are right on. I'll see if I can figure out the specs. Since the cab is rated at 100 watts (woofer and horn), I should assume the 12" can handle 100 watts. Tom

Comment

Speaker wattage

I would not "assume" that the cabinet rating also applies to the woofer.
        A lot of cabinets are rated at total power.
        A cheat would add the two speakers together ( I've seen it on amp ratings).
        You could always call Loud Tech & ask.

Comment

Good point JB...

I know the horn is rated for 25W. So doing the math... 100-25= er, um, ... 75 watt rating for the woofer.

Thanks everyone... !!!!

Tom-

Comment

Well if you already know it is a Crate cab, then WHAT model cab is it?

The horn itself may be a 25w horn, but they are not likely counting its full 25w as part of their output rating.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

The cab is a Crate PS-12H, rated at 100 Watts. The horn is a standard PHT-404. It's rated around 20 - 25 watts. The woofers seem odd because they are a white shade (the paper cone) on them. The previous owner said the color of the speakers faded. But I kinda doubted that. I was thinking that maybe he took the original woofers and put in something very cheap. But after researching, I guess we determined they are Pyles. Tom

Comment

Depending upon the paper, some of those dark gray speaker cones do fade to a pretty pale sort of gray.

If the cab is rated to 100w, then that woofer would be rated at least that much - IN THE SAME RATING SYSTEM AS THE CAB. In other words, if the cab says RMS or continuous, then the woofer should be too. But if the cab is rated at "music power" or "program power," then the woofer I would expect to be rated the same way, which is to say overly generous.

Comment

Hi Tom.
                  It depends also on the intended application.
                  If you will use it as a PA cabinet, you already have the power rating.
                  100W is a little too much for a cheap, run off the mill generic 12" speaker, but you can get away with it on PA work because (usually) PA systems are not run heavily overdriven, with all knobs maxxed out, all night long. (Although I unfortunately know a couple "soundmen" who seem to think otherwise)
                  But on rock guitar use, maxxed distorting amps are the norm, so I wouldn't treat it to a more than 50/60W head.
                  Of course, as an extension speaker for an 80/100W combo, sharing the load, it might be fine.
                  Agree with Enzo (of course) , celulose paste used for speaker cones has a natural beige/light tan/wood colour (same as cardboard boxes and Kraft wrapping/bag paper) , which is usually mixed with some die; black being the cheapest and lightest.
                  Soot (smoke black) is stable and lasts a lot but many use black anilin, which fades , specially with sunlight.
                  White cones look great but are worst of all, because they need (heavy) ground minerals mixed in, usually titanium dioxide , which dull the sound.
                  You may paint the cone surface with a 1:4 diluted black latex paint, it will look new, although somewhat dull.
                  Use it sparingly, when dry it will even out.
                  Rather than "painting" it, you are restoring some black to the mix.
                  EDIT: now I see you have two: they *should* handle a 100W head.
                  Last edited by J M Fahey; 04-10-2010, 01:46 PM. Reason: still sleepy
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                  X