Hughes and Kettner reverb tank ripoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hughes and Kettner reverb tank ripoff

I just contacted H & K to find out if they have any replacement tanks for there Tube 50 amp. It is a Accutronics 8CB3C1B which is unusual and no suppliers stock it. There USA service center wants to charge $95.00 for it! As you all know, Accutronics 8 series tanks Retail for a suggested $39.85 and can be found for less with a significantly lower wholesale. I pointed out that these were made in the states but they only replied that they only have the ones they buy from H&K and have shipped from Germany. I can assure you the one I removed was made in USA. Any suggestions as to whether I should try a 8BB3D1B OR 8DB2C1B?

Accutronics® Type 8 Spring Reverb Tanks - eBay (item 250529665839 end time Jun-10-10 13:16:05 PDT) They show one here!

Comment

Thank you, I did not find this in my search. Brian.

Comment

That is definitely highway robbery!!! All reverb pans from Sound Enhancements (Accutronics) cost the same within a type range.

An 8DB2C1B will be close. The input impedance is a tad higher and the decay is a bit shorter, but the difference will be slight.
        John R. Frondelli
        dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

John, you've got to remember that over in the EU, everytime something changes hands, there's a tax, (VAT). By the time it gets to the final user, all that adds up. We may get that over here if the president gets his way!

Comment

That eBay listing is a sign of good or bad things to come, as they are moving production out of the country.

Comment

That is a stupid price to pay, but in defense of the morons selling at $95, they are probably locked into it. I recall a long time ago wanting a voltage regulator IC, a plain old 78xx type, for a Yamaha repair. The nice folks at Yamaha in California sell only the pre-packages official Yamaha parts from Japan. I could buy a 78xx from Mouser for under a dollar, but the bagged, factory labelled identical part from Yamaha was $8. The California folks stocked only what they got from Yamaha Japan.

SO I might be inclined to suspect that H&K USA may be required to get their parts from the home factory. And in the case of the reverb pan, that would mean it was made in the USA, shipped overseas to H&K, repackaged, then shipped to H&K USA, where it was stocked for potential sale to you.

Like going to the local Ford dealer for parts. You might just need a simple bolt, but the only bolts the dealer will sell will be ones that came from Ford, even if the same bolt would be a lot cheaper at the hardware store across the street.

Of course I could be very wrong.
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It's not a ripoff, but markup after markup every time it changes hands.
                That's what trade and commerce is about.
                You don't expect to pay a beer in a Bar the same price as in a Supermarket, do you?
                Which by the way is higher than what the Brewery is asking.
                That "$39" Accutronics tank probably doesn't cost more than $25 or 30 when it leaves the factory.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

of course it is markup, amd it has changed many hands. It went from USA to Germany and back. But that was my point. Why doesn't the US supplier get the part from the manufacturer. Do they expect to sell any at that price? I finally found one in the US on ebay. Got it with shipping for less than half what they were asking.

Comment

Hi MrB.
                    I'm sure the supplier *has* to get parts from H&K , the same goes for any oher brand they represent.
                    And his business backbone is not selling H&K "parts" but H&K *amplifiers*.
                    I guess que couldn't care less about a customer *not* buying a reverb pan, which he has to order all the way from Germany.
                    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                    X