Need advice on getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on getting started

Hello everyone. I am new here and new to the world of electronics in general although very interested. The main things I am looking to accomplish are things like changing pickups, troubleshooting guitar and amp problems, and being able to fix them without having to pay a fortune. Can any of you point me in a dirrection where I can get some explanations of components and what they do in laymans terms?

Thanks
    Tyler

Here is a jumping off point for basic electronics: Electronics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Try some of the links at the bottom of the article as well.

Pickups are fairly easy. There are plenty of pictures on the internet to show you step by step. You don't have to necessarily have to know what you are doing as long as you can follow a wiring diagram or schematic.

Troubleshooting amplifiers is a different matter. You may want to try building a few simple electronic projects to get your feet wet and to develop some soldering and troubleshooting skills.

Comment

Seymour Duncan's site has a lot of good wiring diagrams, although I'm not a huge fan of their pickups. There's a few places doing custom hand wound stuff that is really high quality and they will include wiring diagrams and I have found a few guys that are doing pickups that are far better than anything you're going to buy from the major manufacturers.

Start with guitar wiring, get a good soldering station and practice. You can't screw up guitar wiring too bad and it gets you used to wiring to pots and jacks, grounding, etc before you pull the chassis out of that vintage Marshall and start messing with high voltages.

Good luck...wiring your own gear lets you find your sound a lot cheaper than spending a ton of money on what the big guys call "Custom Shop" stuff.

Comment

Thanks guys. I have lurked around here for a couple of weeks and people here really seem to know their stuff so ya'll please take it easy on the new guy.

Comment

Of course. You have to start somewhere...

You'll find out in a hurry that your homebrews will be your favs...if you have any specific questions, there's bound to be someone on here that will hook you up.

Good luck.

Comment

You may try youtube, there are some pretty good video's on there with lots of variety. Type in tube amp bias, tube amp repair. Just hang out here when you can, and read endless posting. It seems like some of the people who help here never sleep, there are lots of people on here who have literally forgotten more than I may ever know. Get a amp kit, google ax84 or 18watt clubs. Just hang out in forums on the internet that interest you. And most importantly ask questions if you need to know something. I was told early in college the only stupid question is the one not ask. I guess sometimes I look pretty stupid asking a question but if I get an answer to my question, I don't have to ask it again. Also there are all kinds of how too books on amazon you may want to check out. Basically you can learn quite a bit to get the basics in a short time but it takes a lots of steps to get to the level of some of these guys. Good luck and keep your hands out of amps until you you feel 100% secure in your abilities.

Comment

i've found Jack Darr's books are the easiest to understand for begginers. you can get a free version if you search

Comment

Originally posted by micri5446 View Post
                i've found Jack Darr's books are the easiest to understand for begginers. you can get a free version if you search
                Hey Mike, I have to come and visit you someday. I live in Oceranside, but one of my favorite pizzerias is in East Meadow (Pietro's). Yum!!!
                John R. Frondelli
                dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

pietri's is down the block...stop by anytime\....\
                  ....mike

Comment

I picked up this book probably 10 years ago and found it to be very helpful in typical guitar related electronics repairs.

Amazon.com: Guitar Electronics for Musicians (Guitar Reference) (9780711902329): Donald Brosnac: Books
                    -Mike

Comment

Another good book is "Dave Funk's Tube Amp Workbook". Very concise explanations of how and why circuits work.
                      John R. Frondelli
                      dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Wow, couple of New Yorkers here. METS SUCK, GO BRAVES!!!!!! Just kidding

Comment

Originally posted by thendrix View Post
                          Wow, couple of New Yorkers here. METS SUCK, GO BRAVES!!!!!! Just kidding
                          Get it right. Mets are pond scum.

Yep, I'm a Cards fan. I fondly remember living in NYC and the lovely fist fights at the ball park.

Kidding of course.

Mets fans at least don't make that horrible noise that comes from Atlanta when they do that chop thing.
                          My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

I personally am not a fan of the chop but it is better than that choking sound that tends to come from NY at the end of the season.

Comment

It was years ago that I was in NY, back when they had that catcher who had some neurosis about throwing the ball back to the pitcher. Actually felt for the poor guy watching him get heckled by his home fans, they'd count his false starts when he'd go to make the throw and then hitch up. Hilarious.
                              My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

Working...
                              X