Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20,000uf the hard way!

$31 Ebay DIY kit, U solder!

for $6 more THEY solder, best money you could spend....

its really 9900uf (220uf x 45) per side...

these guys are only $6

with 97% less soldering...
    Last edited by tedmich; 08-18-2010, 07:59 PM.

90*220=19800

Comment

What applications does this fit?

Comment

Originally posted by JHow View Post
        What applications does this fit?
        might be good for 1U

Comment

I guess that rather than the capacitance itself, using this particular configuration "must have" some kinky audiophile overtone to it.
          Never mind the yard long, inductive resistor (a.k.a. thin wire) joining that 7th wonder of the world to the (presumed) gainclone amps and ... grasp ... TUBE ! preamp, complete with gold plated hardware (and probably fed some silly 12 volts or so on its plates).
          Now that I have a second look, the preamp board seems to have 8 other capacitors, same looks and probably same rating; also the chips have 15 pins: not LM3886 (gainclone staple) but TDA7293/94. Oh well !!!.
          Don't know why lately I end so many of my posts with "Oh well".
          EDIT: *now* (silly me) I just see that the tube does not glow orange but blue, so its filaments are probably not turned on (or even connected) and a Led provides its magical glow, as in Vox's cool-something pedals.
          Oh well !!! <-- I did it again []
          Last edited by J M Fahey; 08-22-2010, 03:45 PM. Reason: Oh well !!!
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
            I just see that the tube does not glow orange but blue, so its filaments are probably not turned on (or even connected) and a Led provides its magical glow, as in Vox's cool-something pedals.
            This:
            Vox Cooltron Tube Pedals

and this:
            Takamine Guitars - Cool Tube Preamp

Comment

I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it!

Now..... find the bad cap!!!
              John R. Frondelli
              dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

it would be interesting to see the ripple current and ESR ratings on that array.
                "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Hi Bob.
                  I'm quite sure that the on board specs are excellent, but I also think that they kill that advantage with the long, thin wires they use to connect it to the power board; so I think the gimmick factor was stronger than the actual upgrading one.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

When I see something like that, I can't help but be reminded of the late Jim Varney's character Virgil Sims on Fernwood 2-Night, and his electric car.

YouTube - Fernwood 2Night - Virgil Simms' Electric Car Well worth watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
                      When I see something like that, I can't help but be reminded of the late Jim Varney's character Virgil Sims on Fernwood 2-Night, and his electric car.

YouTube - Fernwood 2Night - Virgil Simms' Electric Car Well worth watching.
                      that approach can actually work well, witness the 6,120 nickel-metal hydride AA batteries used to set a world speed record at ~260mph

WHITE LIGHTNING WORLD ELECTRIC LAND SPEED RECORD HOLDER PAT RUMMERFIELD 1999 DEMPSEY ASSOCIATES | THE BLUEBIRD LAND SPEED RECORD PROJECT

Comment

When lazers first hit the private sector (before laser diodes) as in laser light shows. energy discharge vs energy storage created a lot of this sort of thing. stacking copper clad sheets to make discharge caps was popular. Now how about that for a nitch market. Make the faraday case for the transformer a filter cap too.

Comment

Working...
                        X