Mesa Triple Rectifier Solo Head, Resistor Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Triple Rectifier Solo Head, Resistor Question

Hi I have probably a dumb question but here goes.. I have a Triple rect. that recently blew one of the 6L6 output tubes ( the third from the left, from behind the amp). I popped it open and noticed it also took out plate resistor? It is a 1k 5% 3.75 watt resistor.

My question is, is it ok to replace this with a 1k 5watt or 3watt metal oxide power resistor, which are easy to find, or do I need to replace it with a 3.75 watt resistor?

Is it ok to put a resistor of a higher wattage and correct resistance in? any help is much appreciated!!

In this case a higher wattage is o/k to use.
    I believe we are concerned with the "screen" resistor.

Comment

In the repair game, I would be reaching for the VERY common 5w 1k resistors that are used all over. I don't know that I have ever seen a 3.75w resistor, well other than looking in one of these amps.

Resistors carry current, so they are like extension cords - you can always use a heavier one than you need.

In my view, something like a 3.75 watt resistor would be a special order item, and the point would be that over the course of thousands of amplifiers, the 3.75 would be a few cents cheaper, and it adds up. Someone could suggest that the lighter resistor might under failure conditions pop open earlier and in some way "protect" the tube from damage. I wouldn't buy that for a moment. It is generally tube failure that takes out the resistor in the first place.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

To follow on that, the typical cement wirewound 5W resistor works very well as a fuse. When overloaded they open quickly and gracefully without fire and collateral damage. It's one reason they are so common as emitter resistors and in things like plate resistors in old SVTs. Near perfect failure mode for this application.
        My rants, products, services and incoherent babblings on my blog.

Comment

Working...
        X