Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behringer noise with Phantom power on

Hi guy's,

I am new on this site and was wondering if I could use some of your trouble shooting experience.

I have a Behringer 3282A that powers up fine but when you turn on the phantom power you get a hum and after about 2 seconds you get a popping noise. If you solo every channel you hear it.

I have checked the voltage from the power supply at the board and what I am supposed to have is.

+5
    +17
    +48
    +12

I have at the board:

+5.04
    +16.87
    +76.51
    +12.07

I am checking the voltage right at the board.

The power supply that I am using is brand new (waited 3 months for the thing) when I sent the board and the powersupply to the behringer repair centre in Toronto they said there was nothing wrong used a pile of hot glue to glue down the connectors and sent me on my way.

The board still has the same problem so I took it apart and above is what I found. Does this tell me that the power supply is damaged (power regulator - phantom side), as the voltage is doubled or should I measure the Phantom power from a different source on the board?

Thanks in advance.

Gord
    Last edited by Gord; 12-31-2010, 08:23 PM.

Sure looks to me like your +48 regulator is shot, and sending unregulated +76 into your circuits.

In the power supply, find IC4, an LM317 three-legged voltage regulator IC, and see if it is bad or unsoldered. I'd just replace it, myself.

I am assuming this is an MX3282A?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Enzo,

Yes it is a MX3282A, in your opinion do you think I just fried the 48 volt circuit beyond the regulator as well and that the poping static like noise are the all of the capacitors that are no longer working?

I will check the regulator in the morning.

Happy New Year to you.

Comment

I have no idea, fix the power supply and find out.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thought I'd just give an update.

Replaced the LM317 voltage regulator cleaned up the contacts and fired up the power supply and everything seems to work fine. Just doing a burn in to check out the system over time and so far everything works.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X