Capacitor Discharge amp rating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitor Discharge amp rating

I am wondering what would be the easiest way to convert the storage capacity and voltage contained in a capacitor to an amp rating at same voltage into a load, possibly a dead short. I figured the brains here would be able to help.

Anyways, it's a 330nF at 630 volts. If charged to 600 or so, what would the amp output be to a dead short? This is in a little bug zapper racket, and I am planning on using it as a deterrent device for some larger pests without maiming or killing them.

Well, figured out a solution. A 1 Meg resistor in series with the leads, so standing voltage is about 450 and discharge is low amp. Enough where I can touch it and it's uncomfortable and make me not want to touch it for more then a small amount of time.

Comment

How about this

Capacitor Discharging

How do you know how much current it too much?

Comment

When it's hard to get the pieces of rat off the ceiling, that's too much.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I sincerely hope you do *not* live just by a Pub and want to electronically "pee proof" some part of your property !!
          Won't deny that the idea has a certain wicked attraction to it (he he) but I somehow suspect most Law books around the World might consider it a little too much.
          If you are talking about rats (the 4 legged type) , I have some experience on them, they definitely survive 220VAC; my "Ratakiller" needed 600 to 800V DC, limited by a series 40 to 60W bulb for repeatable results.
          The Administration at the building I used to live in loved me.
          EDIT/WARNING/DISCLAIMER what I just wrote applies *only* within the borders in the Argentine Republic; it's absolutely forbidden and does not apply outside said area.
          DON'T DO IT AT HOME OR ANYWHERE ELSE.
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Nah, it's for actual rodents, and it is just a contact plate to keep them off of things. Like I said, it's one of those little bug zapper rackets that I turned into a rodent zapper. 450 volts at a very low amp. unpleasant but not harmful.

Comment

Rodents are a real pest, very difficult to fight because they are *very* intelligent and, of course, breed *more* than rabbits, plus being able to walk on anything (such as a power cable), climb even walls if only a little rough and pass through incredibly small holes or swim into your house through the WC/sewer pipes (ugh !!!).
              Sorry to say so, but I found only total extermination to work ; deterrents not enough.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

By rodents I mean cats, actually. 4 legs and tails is a rodent to me.

Comment

my daddy said "the only good cat is a dead cat! "

We never owned any so I never tried.

if you get it working well you could sell it to the South African car market to replace the flame throwers they currently use for anti hijacking safety.
                  http://www.metacafe.com/watch/739991...jacing_device/

Comment

Working...
                  X