Air cleaner for soldering area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air cleaner for soldering area

Can someone point me to a good bargain in air cleaning systems for a small room where i will be doing a lot of soldering. Compactness and cost is important. Range i would say is around $500 or less.

Cheapies like these;
    Fume, Smoke Extraction | Digi-Key
    or something that actually extracts the air to the outside?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

An exhaust fan like for a kitchen or bathroom will pull most of it out.

Here is one from MCM
      Tenma Solder Fume Extractor | 21-7960 (217960) | Tenma
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks guys. However, theres no place for the fumes to go so i should have mentioned it needs to somehow swallow the fumes.....a filter i guess?

Comment

Look at those bench top models.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Any experience with those Enzo? Are they any good?

Comment

Don't know about Enzo, but I used to use a similar gadget at work. They have a carbon filter inside that absorbs some of the fumes, but the main use of it is that it stops the smoke from going straight up into your face. If you can stop that concentrated smoke going in your eyes and up your nose, that's 90% of the battle won. An open window will take care of the rest.

I briefly worked in BBC Scotland's radio workshop, and they had a very nice system. Each bench had a nozzle for sucking up the fumes, and they were all plumbed to a device like a large vacuum cleaner that ejected them through a vent in the window. I tried making a ghetto version using the articulated arm from a desk lamp and an actual vacuum cleaner run at reduced voltage.

It worked surprisingly well, but I don't do enough soldering now to justify having one. Most of my time is spent programming, I need a similar device that vacuums away bugs and typos.
              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by daz View Post
                Thanks guys. However, theres no place for the fumes to go so i should have mentioned it needs to somehow swallow the fumes.....a filter i guess?
                If you are using lead free solder you might not need it except for solvents in cleaning. A carbon filter air cleaner used for cleaning room air, which often have electro-static screens for attracting and capturing particles of organic contaminates to boot. Those are around $100-200 for one that will handle 200 sq feet. If using lead solder, a bench top fume extractor is the answer.

Comment

Problem is, the room is small and there is no window and the door has to be closed. If there was a window i'd just point a fan at it as i've done in other rooms.

Comment

Working...
                  X