Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multi power amps?

Hi gang,
    New to your forum and could use a bit of help.
    First, if this is the wrong forum, please forgive...
    My band is graduating from a powered mixer type pa to a mixing board driven by power amp(s). I have been told it would be best to have several power amps in our setup. 1 to drive the mains. 1 to drive the bottoms. 1 to drive the moniters.
    Now my questions....
    How can I install our mixer (behringer sx3242fx eurodesk) to do this and how do I have it set up so that a signal (oh say the vocalist plugged into chanel 1) goes through all 3 seperatepower amps thereby sending his single signal to 3 different destinations (mains, lows and moniters).
    While we're @ it, if I run my bass to the borad, how can it be controlled that the signal only goes to the bottoms?

Thanx
    1 confused bass player

The monitors are driven by a power amp plugged into your board's aux sends. Each channel has an aux send knob, you use this to regulate how much of that channel comes back at you through the monitors. Mixers vary so read your board manual for more details.

The board's main outputs connect to an active crossover, which splits the signal into low and high channels. The low channel drives the bottoms, the high channel drives the mains, each via its own power amp. When you buy your crossover, the manual will explain how to hook it up.

If you want your bass to come only through the bass bins, you'll need to explore a technique called aux fed subs, but that's not really Sound Guy 101 any more.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

behringer sx3242fx eurodesk Manual

Umm...
      Did you read the manual.
      Setting up a full featured mixer can be a daunting task if you are unfamiliar with the equipment.
      The mixer that you have has Aux outputs, Subgroup outputs & a Subwoofer output, along with Stereo/ Mono Mains outs.
      All can be used to your advantage.
      I would suggest that you read the manual & experiment.
      Specific questions could then be addressed.
      Attached Files

Comment

It may be popular to buy gear before exploring just what is needed but is it smart?

Why are you getting a larger system? If you are graduating to larger venues, they have sound systems. If this is for your practice facility it will result in poorer vocals and other problems of higher stage volume. A larger system might not be what you need. Small events that have bands bring their own PA would probably not pay enough to cover the cost of buying and maintenance of your system.
        Can you explain more about your situation and how large and frequent are your public performances. What style of music. Do you have as sound man that will consistently work for you, if not, who is going to run it? Powered mixers have the great advantage of being simple to use. A sound guy who is worth having will cost plenty each night, you will not want anyone who just happens to volunteer, they will not do anything positive for your sound or reputation.

Maybe if you own your own venue it makes sense but as a band for hire, it will take a lot of frat parties to pay off $3-5k in gear, and hire a sound man for about what the gig pays.
        What specifically is wrong with your sound now?

Comment

Working...
        X