Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CAD NDM 11 drum mic - condenser or dynamic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAD NDM 11 drum mic - condenser or dynamic?

Our drummer asked me to check out his NDM11 mic. There's a constant hum and virtually no output.

I've rewired it (yep, I know the conventions for XLR and condenser mics) but just can't figure it out. I've also connected it as if it were a dynamic mic with a 2 conductor shielded cable with no luck.

It appears to me that whether it's condenser mic or not that it's kaput. Anyone able to confirm whether it's a condenser type or not? I'm betting that it is and that the primary element has failed.

Thanks

Not sure what you mean by "XLR and condenser." That strikes me the same as knowing the difference between a 1/4" conector and a guitar jack.

The XLR connector is for a balanced output on pins 2 and 3, regardless of whether it is condenser or dynamic. A dynamic mic can be wired balanced - with an XLR - or unbalanced, usually with 1/4" for a full sized mic.

ANy chance your mic needs phantom power?

Of course someone may wire it up other ways for some purpose.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I guess I combined a couple of things into one phrase. I meant I know how to wire an XLR male connector at the mic. I also know that for a balanced output the two conductors are soldered to pins 2 and 3, ground on pin 1.
      I have a jig for phantom power and tried that with hook-up and still get constant hum and virtually no output.

I've known mics to use pin 2 as signal and pin 1 as ground for the unbalanced type of connection.

I was rather surprised to see next to nothing in the way of tech info from the company who makes this mic.

Comment

I know nothing about this mic other than it sold in a kit with 2 ndm10 mics for overheard for about $300. The company does not even list it as a current or discontinued product. Easy way to determine if dynamic(betting it is) would be to bring a compass near it. Condenser mic should not influence the needle.

Comment

Thanks km6xz, I'll check that out.

Comment

That is a good trick, I like that.

I also looked at the CAD web site, but it couldn;t hurt to contact them and ask about the model, they may have data sheets and specs and such. What is on a web site is rarely the total of what a company has to offer.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
            X